IFC Men’s Fraternity Recruitment
Thank you for taking the time to learn about Interfraternity Council Recruitment. Formal recruitment occurs each semester, however, the first opportunity for first-year students to join a fraternity will be spring 2021. The process will be either entirely or mostly virtual, and any in-person interactions will follow all university and state health and safety guidelines.
If you have any questions about fraternity recruitment, please contact Robbie Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org or 336-278-7214.
Elon University has a deferred joining policy for students interested in social, values-based fraternities or sororities. To be eligible to participate in recruitment/intake activities, students must:
- Be enrolled as a full-time student.
- Have earned at least 12 credits at Elon University or transferred to Elon with a minimum of 12 credit hours from another college or university.
- Be in good standing with the university (not on academic or disciplinary probation).
- Meet the minimum GPA requirements of the respective governing council or organization. The Interfraternity Council has determined that all undergraduate male students who have obtained at least a 2.800 cumulative grade point average as of the closing date of the registration process are eligible to register and participate in fraternity recruitment. There are no exceptions to the GPA requirement.
- Complete the registration online and pay the $35 recruitment registration fee (fee only applies to spring recruitment). All participants are also required to attend IFC Recruitment Convocation, which will be the opening event of IFC recruitment. Details will be posted on this page once they are finalized by the IFC.
In careful planning for a healthy spring semester, Elon has implemented a pause on all preparations for IFC Fraternity Spring 2021 Recruitment. Leaders in our fraternities are working to develop comprehensive plans that include strategies to ensure all chapter activities are conducted in a safe manner and meet COVID-19 health guidelines. We expect to have an update by mid-January with information and timeline for registration and recruitment.
IFC recruitment is not limited to a student’s first year on campus, and the Interfraternity Council encourages all men whose GPA is below a 2.800 who wish to join a fraternity to consider increasing their overall GPA and participating future fall or spring recruitment.
Suspended or Unrecognized Organizations
To support the educational integrity of co-curricular activities on campus and to ensure the safety and well-being of our students, Elon University has established expectations, policies, and processes for recognized student organizations. When an organization or group has had its university recognition denied, suspended, or withdrawn, students and student organizations are prohibited from affiliating with this group. Examples of affiliation include, but are not limited to: joining, accepting an offer of membership, or hosting social activities with the group.
Please refer to the Student Handbook for the complete Affiliation Policy and Outcomes.
Pi Kappa Phi – The National Council of Pi Kappa Phi voted to close the associate chapter in Spring 2020. The fraternity had been reestablished as a recognized fraternity in Spring 2018 after a period of suspension due to hazing and alcohol violations. The national fraternity’s decision to close the associate chapter follows multiple incidents and violations of the university alcohol policy, fraud/lying, and engaging in behaviors that endanger the health and safety of others. They are unable to function as an organization, recruit new members, or participate in community activities of any kind.
Kappa Sigma – The fraternity’s charter was revoked by the Kappa Sigma International Headquarters in Fall 2019. The fraternity had been found responsible for multiple Elon Honor Code violations, including incidents of disorderly conduct, unauthorized use of alcohol, compromising the well-being and academics of new members, and destruction and defacing of property. They are unable to function as an organization, recruit new members, or participate in community activities of any kind.
Lambda Chi Alpha – The fraternity was found responsible for significant violations of the Elon Honor Code and was suspended in Fall 2017. They are unable to function as an organization, recruit new members, or participate in community activities of any kind.
For more information about these organizations contact Jordan King, Associate Director of Student Involvement, at email@example.com