Student Involvement promotes the learning and development of students who affiliate with values-based fraternities and sororities. The department supports the fraternity and sorority community in efforts to continue to be relevant and contributing members to the institution, and advocates for the academic success of all members and for opportunities through which students can integrate their values into learning.
The fraternity and sorority community at Elon has enhanced the lives of thousands of men and women. While our groups support different philanthropies and causes, and have different histories and traditions, all of our fraternities and sororities support the following:
- a lifetime of brotherhood or sisterhood
- high scholastic goals
- service to the community
- leadership on campus and beyond
- and the betterment of individuals.
Joining a fraternity or sorority is a responsibility to uphold the values and ideals of our groups and our collective community.
Our three councils provide a governance structure for the 26 international fraternities and sororities, and the overall direction of the community is guided by the professional staff in Student Involvement. Our community offers a diverse group of fraternities and sororities that allows all those who want to join an organization the opportunity to search for one that closely matches their values and personalities.
Our Ethics Statement
Individuals who assume membership in a general (values-based) Greek-lettered organization do not surrender their rights nor escape their fundamental responsibilities as a citizen or as a member of Elon, but acquire additional rights and responsibilities to the greater Elon fraternity/sorority community.
In order to build a stronger Elon fraternity/sorority community, the members of the Interfratenity Council, National Pan-Hellenic Council and Panhellenic Association of Elon developed an ethics statement. The following code of ethics represents some of the basic expectations of fraternity/sorority membership at Elon:
- I will respect others as I wish to be respected; therefore, I will not physically, mentally, psychologically or sexually abuse anyone. In addition, I will neither abuse nor tolerate the abuse of property.
- I will strive for academic success and practice academic integrity.
- I recognize that I represent and am responsible to the larger fraternity/sorority community.
- I will act as a role model for others and the entire Elon community.
- I will provide support for other chapters and their members at all times.
- I will make ethical decisions and be personally responsible and accountable, even when faced with difficult choices.
- I will continue to look deeper into my Ritual and exhibit the values that are contained therein.
- I will celebrate diversity and accept the differences and beliefs of others.
- I will be honest with others and myself.
- I will recognize and support the Elon statement on alcohol and Elon policies on illegal substance use.
- I will challenge all members of my chapter to strive to abide by these expectations.