Van Training

In order for faculty, staff, and students to be eligible to operate university vans, a defensive driving training course must be completed. The course consists of an application, classroom instruction and a road test. To qualify to take the course, drivers must be at least nineteen years old, not a first year student and have three years of driving experience. Drivers must be in good standing with the Department of Motor Vehicles.

Faculty, staff, and students can operate a (7) passenger van without completing van training, but you must complete an application for the Office of Business, Finance and Technology.

To be eligible for certification you must meet the following criteria:

  • Possessed a license for at least three years (not including provisionary license)
  • Be at least 19 years old
  • Have a good driving history (as designated by our insurance carrier)

Driving a University Vehicle
This application is for any student, faculty, or staff member who is not currently on the university’s drivers list.  Drivers who have already been approved to drive will remain on the list and need not apply again.   A link to the form provided here ONLINE APPLICATION  can also be found on the Business, Finance and Technology homepage and Kernodle Center website (for students). 

Guidelines developed by our insurance company as part of our risk management program are used to determine driver eligibility.  For questions regarding those guidelines please contact Meghan Fisher at 278-5003.

As a reminder, students driving 7-passenger vans (or larger) and faculty and staff driving 12-passenger vans* (or larger) must successfully complete a van drivers training course before being permitted to drive those vehicles.  Van drivers training is administered by Moseley Center Staff and can be scheduled at Moseley Center Front Desk.  Please contact Drema Holder at ext. 7215 or e-mail to reserve a spot or for more information.

*You still must submit an application to drive any university vehicle regardless of size or capacity.

Accident reporting
Drivers involved in an accident of any kind while operating a university vehicle must submit an accident report to the Office of Administrative Services in Alamance 213 as soon as possible.  The form is available on the Business, Finance and Technology webpage or through this link provided--ACCIDENT REPORT                                
Questions regarding the university’s drivers list, reports of property and liability damage and general questions about insurance coverage should also be directed to Meghan Fisher. 

Faculty and staff members who sustain injuries due to an accident on campus or on university business need to complete an Accident Investigation Form which is available on the Office of Human Resources’ website ( under the heading “Supervisor Resources.”

The following dates are scheduled for training:

  • September 01, 2016
  • October 06, 2016