Travel Policy for Students:


Travel off-campus is often part of a student organization’s activity. The following guidelines apply to student organization travel within the contiguous United States.

  • The organization must have a designated student trip leader who is traveling with the group, has attended an in-person training/education session, and serves as the primary contact for the University in the event of accident, injury, illness, travel disruption, natural disaster, local emergency, etc. during travel
  • Student trip leaders are strongly encouraged to communicate frequently with the organization advisor, providing a copy of the itinerary and contact information for all participants before traveling, communicating with the advisor upon departure and arrival, and contacting the advisor should any problems arise while traveling.
  • Student trip leaders should call Campus Safety and Police to have the University’s Administrator on Call (AOC) paged in the event of any illness or injury requiring medical treatment or causing a disruption in travel.
  • If university-owned vehicles are used for transportation, drivers must be registered and approved in advance and the organization must comply with all policies and expectations for use of university vehicles. Information about reserving university vehicles and becoming an approved driver can be found on the Moseley Center website.

While the above guidelines serve as the general policy, Academic and Student Life Deans may approve alternative travel arrangements for certain events involving individual students, regularly scheduled repetitive travel, or unusual circumstances.

Student groups can request the use of a university motor vehicle by registering the event through PhoenixCONNECT.

University Motor Vehicles and Use of Personal Vehicles:

The University maintains vans, SUV’s and cars (collectively referred to as University vehicles) for use by recognized student groups, faculty and staff for official university business. Only those persons on the University’s approved drivers list and who have a valid driver’s license, are insurable by the university, and maintain a good driving record may operate a university vehicle.

In order for students to be eligible to operate University vehicles, a University Motor Vehicle Drivers Training Course must be completed. The course consists of an online application, classroom instruction and road test. To qualify for the course, students must be at least 19 years of age, possess a valid driver’s license from their home state, have had three years of driving experience, maintain a safe driving record, and be insurable by the university.

Individuals are not required to complete the course only if they are driving university motor vehicles designed for fewer than 7 passengers. However, if they are operating a motor vehicle that holds more than 7 passengers then they must complete the Motor Vehicle Drivers Training Course. An online driver’s application must be submitted and approved before drivers can take the training course. Once the driver successfully completes the Motor Vehicles Drivers Training Course they will be added to the University’s drivers list. Driver application forms are linked from the Administrative Services website. Click Driver Application and sign in using your university credentials. Please note that only drivers who meet the underwriting standards of the University’s insurance company will be approved to drive University vehicles.

Faculty, staff and students are insured by the University’s policy while operating University owned or University rented vehicles. Students and employees’ personal automobile coverage is primary when using their own vehicles on University business including attending events required for academic credit.

Students are expected to uphold all local, state and national laws when driving University vehicles. Students are also expected to uphold the Elon University Honor Code and will be held to the Elon University Student Code of Conduct while driving or riding in University vehicles. Alcohol is prohibited in University vehicles at all times.

Policies for Driving Motor Vehicles for University Departments and Organizations

All motor vehicles driven during activities or trips, whether owned by the University or leased for the duration of the trip may be driven only by approved Elon University drivers. These vehicles must be operated in full compliance with applicable campus policies and state laws. Each department, program, or organization is responsible for ensuring that each trip has approved drivers. Student organizations and their members are eligible to use the Elon University motor vehicles for travel throughout the school year.

To become a certified Elon University motor vehicle driver:

  1. Drivers must have no less than three years of driving experience and must submit an online application in order to be considered for approval.
  2. Once the application is approved, drivers must read and become familiar with the Elon University Guidelines for Motor Vehicle and successfully complete the University Motor Vehicle Drivers Training course.
  3. Use of the 14-passenger mini-bus requires additional training and driver must be 21 years old. Use of the 25-passenger bus requires a commercial driver’s license (CDL) to operate. Inquire at the Moseley front desk for more information.
  4. Elon University may make exceptions to the policies based on an individual’s driving history or special needs.

Who can use motor vehicles?

All students who are members of recognized student programs and organizations that are traveling off campus for an event. The student drivers are required to be motor vehicle certified with the Moseley Center. The motor vehicles are available for service projects, practices, games, break trips, travel to conferences, and other approved activities. The organization must not exceed the number of approved occupants in a motor vehicle at one time when traveling. This is governed by the number of seatbelts provided.

How much will it cost?

Student organizations are responsible for covering the cost of travel, including gas. Elon University has 12- passenger vans, a 9 passenger handicapped accessible van, 7 passenger mini vans, a 14-passenger mini-bus, and a 25-passenger bus (requires a commercial driver’s license to operate). Located in the Danieley Center parking lot, these vehicles provide student organizations the opportunity to travel off-campus for events. The 9- and 12-passenger vans have a thirty gallon tank and get approximately 13.5 miles per gallon.


Reservations are on a first-come, first-serve basis. A student organization/program member must complete online reservation form through PhoenixCONNECT at

Check In, Check Out:

The motor vehicle check-in and check-out will be handled by the Moseley Center staff on the day of the scheduled trip. Keys can be picked up the day prior to the schedule trip if leaving before the building’s hours of operation. At the time of vehicle check out, the driver is required to be certified, have a valid driver’s license, and be on the University’s approved driver’s list.

The driver must provide the destination and anticipated miles to be traveled, the organization/department’s account number, and a passenger list. The key given to the driver will have a number on it which corresponds with a number located on the front windshield of the van. If the assigned van is not filled with gas, contains trash, has been damaged, or needs immediate maintenance call the Moseley Center at 336-278-7215 to report the issue(s).

Upon returning from the trip, the key and the completed motor vehicle mileage card (attached to the keys) should be returned to the Moseley Information Desk immediately or as soon as Moseley opens the next day if the organization/group returns after the Moseley hours of operation. All motor vehicles must be returned cleaned which includes emptying all trash and removing all belongings. It also must be returned with a full tank of gas. There is a minimum $50 fee for not refilling the gas tank, not removing trash, or not returning the vehicle in a clean condition.

Driver Responsibility:

  1. Driver(s) must have a valid driver’s license with them while operating the vehicle.
  2. Driver(s) or organizations are personally responsible for any law violations that result in warrants, fines, tickets, or damage.
  3. Driver(s) or organizations are financially responsible for uninsured costs, including the deductible, incurred in any accident in which they are involved.
  4. Driver(s) are responsible for ensuring all passengers wear seat-belts.
  5. Do not use cell phones or other electronic devices while driving, as these are prohibited by law.
  6. Drive no faster than the posted speed limit or 65 mph, whichever is lower.
  7. Follow all traffic safety laws.