What does it mean to “get involved” on campus?
This may mean more than you think, and the answer is as unique as the individual! Elon offers many opportunities for involvement through a wide range of activities, including:
- more than 250 student organizations and campus programs
- academic honoraries
- spirituality groups and organizations
- student government
- social fraternities and sororities
- club sports
- on-campus employment
- residence hall and neighborhood activities
- volunteerism and service learning
- student media
- performing arts
- entertainment…and much more!
Why should I get involved on campus?
When you get involved in student activities, you have the opportunity to:
- develop leadership skills
- become connected to Elon (feeling a sense of “place”)
- make a difference on and off campus
- gain a sense of achievement
- make new friends
- enjoy a variety of experiences
- impress potential employers and graduate schools
- have fun!
How do I get involved?
You can begin by asking yourself the following questions:
- What are my current areas of interest?
- What is important to me?
- What are my passions?
- Where can I best contribute my skills and talents?
- What am I looking to gain from this experience?
- What activity best fits my schedule and availability?
Remember that most student organizations and campus programs are actively seeking new members and are very eager to explain their activities and purpose! Please visit PhoenixCONNECT for more information on getting ‘connected’.
How much is enough?
Only YOU can answer this question. Here are a few helpful things to remember:
- Your first priority is academics (classes, projects, and assignments).
- Your activities should complement what you are doing in the classroom, not compete with them. That’s why we call them CO-curricular activities as opposed to EXTRA-curricular activities.
- You should be having fun.
- You should be learning! If you aren’t having fun and learning, you might want to reconsider your commitments.
- Don’t commit unless you’re sure you have the time to follow through.
- Take your time. Be choosy. Try to imagine how your activities will fit into your schedule and your life.
- Be honest with yourself and others about how much you really can balance.
Elon’s annual Organization Fairs are held at the beginning of the fall and spring semesters. At the fairs, you can expect to find representatives from organizations on campus looking to provide information and recruit new members.
A series of in-person organization fairs will be hosted this winter and spring semester. Mini-Org Fairs will take place on January 26-January 28 from 11:30am-1:30pm in the Moseley Student Center with a limited number of participants. The larger Spring Org Fairs will then take place on February 12 and February 19 from 5:00-8:00pm in locations across campus. Our team is working closely with partners across campus to ensure a safe experience for all involved. Please visit PhoenixCONNECT for more details about the upcoming spring organization fairs.