Frequently Asked Questions

About Orientation:

Q: When is move-in day?
A: Friday, August 25th. Specific morning check-in times and driving directions will be provided over the summer depending on which neighborhood you live in. You will receive your housing assignment in July.

Q: Should we arrive the night before?

A: If you are from another state, it's is a good idea to book a hotel in the Elon/Burlington area for the night before. Book early, as hotels fill up quickly during busy times on campus. However, students will not be permitted to move into the residence halls early (unless they are approved early arrivals such as athletes, dance team, marching band, Service-Learning community, etc.)

Q: Can we come on Saturday instead of Friday?
A: We do not recommend this. Friday is the official opening day for the university, and there will be a large support team for this effort. On Saturday morning, the Orientation schedule is well underway, and important university events take place such as New Student Convocation and meeting with your advisor.

Q: How long is Orientation for new students?
A: Orientation begins on Friday and lasts through Monday. Classes begin on Tuesday.

Q: How long should parents stay?
A: Parents are encouraged to stay through Convocation, meeting with their students' academic advsior, and the Farewell Picnic. The Farewell Picnic lunch on Saturday (12:30-2:00pm) concludes programming for parents.

About the rest of the school year:

Q: What if I get sick?
A: Please visit the Health Services website for information on hours, services and medical staff. When Health Services is closed, students may visit NextCare Urgent Care and show their Phoenix Card and insurance card for billing to be processed through the university. Elon can provide transportation to after hours and off-campus medical appointments. Students should call Health Services at 336-278-7230 or Campus Security at 336-278-5555 to request transportation, and a taxi will be sent to pick up the student. Students are responsible for all costs; the cab company will bill Elon, and Elon will bill the student. 

If you have any questions, call Student Life at (336) 278-7200 (M-F 8 a.m.- 5 p.m.). You may also call Campus Security at (336) 278-5555 after hours and on weekends (24-hour service). In addition, there is always an administrator on duty to assist in the event of an emergency.

Q: What if I need to see a counselor during the school year?

A: Counseling Services, located in the R.N. Ellington Center for Health and Wellness, offers group and individual counseling to students. Please visit the Counseling Services website for details.

Q: What is the break schedule?
A: Please refer to the Academic Calendar

Q: Do I need to purchase a computer?
A: It is not required that you purchase your own computer; there are 20 computer labs on campus and the library offers a laptop rental for 4 hours free of charge with your Phoenix Card. However, most students prefer to have their own computer. You can check for the types of computers Elon suggests, but you may purchase any computer that fits your personal needs.

Q: As a parent, what can I do for my student from home?
A: You can sign up to send your student exam packs (care packages) through the universityThe Resident Student Association sponsors exam packs for students. These are offered three times a year: welcome packs, fall exam packs and spring exam packs. For more information on these packages, call Residence Life at (336) 278-7300.

Q: As a parent, do I have access to my child's educational records?

A: Elon complies with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974. This act protects the privacy of educational records, establishes the right of students to inspect and review their educational records, and provides guidelines for the correction of inaccurate or misleading data through informal and formal hearings. Students also have the right to file complaints with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act Office concerning alleged failures by the institution to comply with the act. Please contact the Office of the Registrar with questions concerning the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

More questions? Check out the FAQs for First-Year Students, Transfer Students, and International Students. Call Orientation at (336) 278-7777 or email at if we can be of assistance.