Q: Can I "double" major in English and PWR?

A: Yes. If you are interested in creative writing or literature, as well as PWR, you can plan your coursework so that you graduate with a BA in PWR and a BA in ENG. Your advisor will work with you to plan your coursework.

Q: If I choose to double major in English and PWR, do I have to take two senior seminars?

A: Because the senior seminars are designed as capstone experiences for each major, you would not have a complete background in any major without taking that major’s senior seminar. For this reason, all Professional Writing & Rhetoric majors and English majors choosing to double-major must take two senior seminars. Instead of seeing this as a burden, see this requirement as an opportunity to make connections between your two majors.

Q: Can I "double" in two English concentrations?

A: Yes. The core courses can often be the same for both. You will be required to take senior seminars in both of your chosen concentration areas. You must also participate in an appropriate senior assessment for EACH concentration.  However, only one exit interview/exam is necessary. Your advisor will work with you to plan your coursework.

Q: If I'm in the Creative Writing concentration, why must I study literature?

A: Great chefs can’t cook all their own meals.
To overcome writer’s block. To attach yourself to a tradition or traditions in writing. To learn how to do it right, how to create drama, establish character, render setting, write a convincing love scene. To feel the exhilaration of reading good writing. To keep your brain active. To study stylistics, learn vocabulary, examine literary dialog. To get ideas for plots. To learn about the world, expand your sense of what’s out there.

Q: Why do English-Education majors have so few choices about major courses?

A: In order to be able to grant certification, we must assure the State Department of Public Instruction that prospective teachers have met all of the state-required competencies for English teachers.

Q: Will the Writing Center really be helpful to me in my upper-level courses?

A: Yes. You can improve your papers at any level by working with a trained responder.

Q: As a literature major, why do I need a “language studies” course and another writing course?

A: The more knowledgeable you are about the English language and how to use it, the more you will enjoy reading literature and the more confident and competent you will be to form critical opinions about it. Writing courses can also help prepare you for employment in many different fields.

Q: What are the requirements for membership in the English Honor Society, Sigma Tau Delta?

A: A declared English major or minor, junior standing; four English courses beyond ENG 110; 3.00 overall GPA and at least a 3.25 GPA in English courses. Transfer students must have completed at least one semester of study at Elon University.

Q: Once I declare my major, how am I assigned an advisor?

A: You can always request a specific advisor, and the chair will try to assign you to a person in your concentration. However, when faculty members have too many advisees, such requests are hard to fill. When this happens, you will be assigned to another professor in the department. All of the English professors are knowledgeable in each concentration. If you need to change advisors, please see the chair of the English Department. If your advisor is not available for some reason (sabbatical, study abroad, etc.), the chair will assign you another advisor.

Q: What awards are presented by the English Department at the end of the academic year?

A: The English Scholar of the Year, chosen by the faculty, is an honorary award with a monetary gift presented to a rising senior with a high GPA and significant service to the department and the university.  The English Leadership Award, also determined by faculty vote, goes to a rising junior or senior in recognition of extraordinary contributions to the department’s vitality and community. Awards given to graduating seniors include recognition and monetary prizes for outstanding research in the senior seminar in literature and the PWR senior seminar.

Q: How do I submit to Colonnades, and must I be a Creative Writing major or minor to do so?

A: You do not have to be a Creative Writing major or minor to submit to our student literary magazine, Colonnades. Pick up an application form from Kevin Boyle (Whitley 207), Andrew Perry (Whitley 303), Tita Ramirez (Whitley 206) or Cassie Kircher (Whitley 205) early in the fall semester. Submissions are due by early December.

Q: May I major in one concentration in English and minor in another concentration in English?

A: No. However, it is possible to combine two English concentrations, major in English and minor in PWR, or to double major in English and PWR or some other subject.

Q: Can I minor in Professional Writing & Rhetoric?

A: Yes, students in any major across campus, except Professional Writing & Rhetoric, can choose to minor in Professional Writing Studies. A minor in PWS helps you better understand the significance of the writing that permeates all professions, as well as our lives outside of work. The minor also makes it possible for you to develop and later market yourself as someone particularly strong in writing and organizational communications.

Q: What can I do with an English degree?

A: Edit journals, articles, magazines, and books; teach; work in a public relations firm; write articles for magazines and newspapers; work for businesses, especially in fields like corporate communication, marketing, advertising, or human resources; enter graduate school programs such as law, medicine, library science, or technical writing. For additional information see “What Can I Do with an English Major?