Internships in the College of Arts and Sciences – Student Resources
Internships in the College of Arts and Sciences involve both an on-site experience and an academic component. Therefore internships also involve at least three parties – the student, a faculty mentor, and a site supervisor – with no conflicts of interest between the student and the site supervisor.
Internships in the College of Arts and Sciences require a minimum of 40 on-site hours per credit, although additional hours may be required to complete partnerships with the internship site. Academic work for the internship will require additional time, beyond the minimum 40 hours on-site.
Registering Your Internship for Academic Credit
Etiquette Guidelines for Internships
Students are expected to maintain professional behavior throughout every aspect of the internship. Markers of professional behavior include:
- Communicating with the faculty member and site supervisor as outlined in the internship guidelines and syllabus,
- Treating the internship as a learning opportunity and professional development privilege,
- Asking questions – both to facilitate your learning and to avoid making false assumptions about practices at your internship site,
- Demonstrating schedule flexibility as necessary to accommodate field agency events and related learning opportunities,
- Refraining from discretionary activities and obligations that conflict with the internship schedule,
- Adhering to agency policies and expectations,
- Adhering to Elon University policies and expectations, and
- Expressing self with tact, respect, and emotional maturity.
Understanding the Academic Components of an Internship
Internships consist of more than the hours your will complete on-site. To earn academic credit for an internship, you also must complete assignments that support your application or integration of your disciplinary learning and your reflection on the internship in relation to your learning goals. You can expect your faculty mentor to provide a syllabus that outlines these assignments. Your academic work for the internship will require additional time, beyond the minimum 40 hours on-site.
Costs of Internships
If you complete an internship during the Fall, Winter, or Spring terms, the tuition costs associated with your internship are covered by your full-time tuition as long as you do not exceed the maximum number of credit hours for the term.
If you complete an internship during the Summer, you will need to pay tuition for the credit hours. Review the current Tuition and Fees for the current summer tuition (per credit hour).
In addition to tuition, you should anticipate the cost of transportation to and from your internship site. For example, even an internship in Alamance County may require you to budget for additional gas purchases if you drive to/from your internship.