Sustainability Master Plan
Current Sustainability Master Plan
An updated Sustainability Master Plan was completed in 2015. It was developed by the Office of Sustainability and 2014-2015 Environmental Advisory Council. The updated plan builds upon the successes of the initial plan and focuses on the next 10 years.
View the updated Sustainability Master Plan
Progress on implementation of the Sustainability Master Plan is ongoing. Of the 147 specific strategies identified in the plan, 54% are underway, while 30% are complete and 16% are not started.
Below are some of the highlights from implementation of the plan:
- Since FY 14-15 when the Sustainability Master Plan was developed, the campus’ energy consumption per square foot has decreased 14%.
- The campus tree management program has expanded to include a tree inventory, an additional Arborist and campus tree care plan.
- A waste audit was conducted in selected campus buildings and campus waste operations were assessed to facilitate developing a waste reduction master plan.
Planning and Administration
- Elon’s carbon neutrality by 2037 goal was included in the new Boldly Elon strategic plan published in early 2020.
- Sustainability has been integrated into all Residence Life Professional Staff and Student Staff training.
- The Sustainability Faculty Scholars Program has been enhanced to include continuing professional development and collaboration opportunities.
Initial Sustainability Master Plan
Elon University’s initial Sustainability Master Plan was completed by the Environmental Advisory Council in 2007 at the request of President Lambert. It identifies campus practices already in place that were reducing Elon’s environmental impact and lists several recommendations to expand Elon’s efforts.