Elon University is the largest sponsor of Alamance Pride (Alamance in the name of the county that encompasses the town of Elon, Burlington, Graham, Mebane, Gibsonville, Ossipee, Haw River, and many more.)
Every year students participate by giving speeches to the county, plus Elon University hosts a vendor table staffed by faculty, staff, students, and alumni. Additionally, 3 of the 9 Board Members for Alamance Pride are Elon University faculty and staff.
In 2017, Alamance Pride Festival will be hosted on Saturday, October 7, 2017 outside of the Historic Train Depot and Amphitheatre in Downtown Burlington.
For more info on Alamance Pride, you can check out their official website at www.alamancepride.org.
North Carolina’s largest Pride Parade is a 2-day festival, less than 2 hours from campus. Charlotte typically bring more than 100,000+ attendees each year for their Pride Parade & Festival.
Every year, Elon University attends the CampusPride LGBTQIA Student College Fair where we recruit prospective students and reconnect with Elon alumni who stop by.
In 2017, Charlotte Pride Festival will be hosted on Saturday & Sunday, August 18-19, 2017 in Downtown Charlotte.
For more info on Charlotte Pride, you can check out their official website at www.charlottepride.org
Elon University students, faculty, staff, and alumni attend Greensboro Pride every year. Greensboro is only 20-to-30 minutes west of Elon University.
In 2017, Greensboro Pride Festival will be hosted on Saturday, September 16, 2017 in Downtown Greensboro on Elm St.
For more info on Greensboro Pride, you can check out their official website at www.greensboropride.org
NC Pride Parade
Every year students, faculty, staff, and alumni walk in the NC Pride Parade.
In 2017, NC Pride Parade will be hosted on Saturday, September 23, 2017 near the campus of Duke University in Durham, NC – only 45 minutes east of Elon University.
For more info on NC Pride, you can check out their official website at www.ncpride.org
- PFLAG Alamance is the local chapter for the national organization known as PFLAG – Parents & Friends of Lesbians And Gays.
- PFLAG Alamance meets every 2nd Tuesday of the month in the library (1st Floor) of the Elon Community Church located at 271 N Williamson Ave, Elon, NC 27244
- Members from the Elon community regularly attend their monthly meetings and events, and PFLAG Alamance is always welcome to new people stopping by, whether you’re a student considering coming out or a parent/friend of someone who identifies as LGBTQIA.
- You can learn more about PFLAG Alamance happenings by visiting their full website at pflagalamance.org or their Facebook page.
- In addition to their facebook, PFLAG Alamance also has a monthly newsletter full of information for the Alamance LGBT Community and it’s supporters. Contact them at info@pflagAlamance.org to recieve it and become part of the PFLAG Community!
Places of Worship
Alamance County has several places of worship that are LGBTQIA-affirming.
On campus, our Truitt Center for Religious and Spiritual Life works with our Hillel to provide inclusive faith services that are affirming around LGBTQIA identities.
Within Alamance County, there are 2 separate Open & Affirming churches including Elon Community Church and Life’s Journey United Church of Christ.
Also within the county, we have a newer mosque/masjid that has been active in social justice causes across the county and state. It serves as a welcoming place for people across many identities and is a recent addition to the growing diverse faith communities being created across Alamance County.
Winston-Salem hosts an annual pride festival, and Winston-Salem is less than 1 hour west of Elon University.
In 2017, Winston-Salem Pride Festival will be hosted on Saturday, October 14, 2017 in Downtown Winston-Salem on Trade St.
For more info on Winston-Salem Pride, you can check out their official website at www.pridews.org