- Elon University is the largest sponsor of Alamance Pride (Alamance in the name of the county that encompasses the town of Elon, Burlington, Graham, Mebane, Gibsonville, Ossipee, Haw River, and many more.)
- Every year students participate by giving speeches to the county, plus Elon University hosts a vendor table staffed by faculty, staff, students, and alumni. Additionally, 3 of the 9 Board Members for Alamance Pride are Elon University faculty and staff.
- The 4th annual Alamance Pride Festival was hosted on Saturday, October 6, 2018 outside of the Historic Train Depot and Amphitheatre in Downtown Burlington.
- For more info on Alamance Pride, you can check out their official website at www.alamancepride.org or photos at www.facebook.com/ElonGLC
- Less than a 2-hour drive, North Carolina’s largest Pride Parade is a 2-day festival, bringing more than 100,000+ attendees each year.
- Every year, Elon University attends the CampusPride LGBTQIA Student College Fair as part of Charlotte Pride, where we recruit prospective LGBTQIA students and reconnect with Elon LGBTQIA alumni who stop by.
- Charlotte Pride Festival was hosted on Saturday & Sunday, August 18-19, 2018 in Downtown Charlotte.
- For more info on Charlotte Pride, you can check out their official website at www.charlottepride.org
Only 20 minutes away, Greensboro Pride is attended by Elon University students, faculty, staff, and alumni every year.
Greensboro Pride Festival was hosted on Sunday, October 21, 2018 in Downtown Greensboro on Elm St.
For more info on Greensboro Pride, you can check out their official website at www.greensboropride.org
Durham / NC Pride Parade
Only 45 minutes away, Elon University students, faculty, staff, and alumni walk every year in the Durham / NC Pride Parade.
Students make colorful banners & signs, and it’s a great time within the first 6 weeks of school to get connected to LGBTQIA communities!
Durham / NC Pride Parade was hosted this year on Saturday, September 29, 2018 on the campus of Duke University in Durham, NC.
For more info on Durham / NC Pride, you can check out their official website at www.pridedurhamnc.org
- PFLAG Alamance is the local chapter for the national organization known as PFLAG – Parents & Friends of Lesbians And Gays.
- PFLAG Alamance meets every 2nd Tuesday of the month in the library (1st Floor) of the Elon Community Church located at 271 N Williamson Ave, Elon, NC 27244
- Members from the Elon community regularly attend their monthly meetings and events, and PFLAG Alamance is always welcome to new people stopping by, whether you’re a student considering coming out or a parent/friend of someone who identifies as LGBTQIA.
- You can learn more about PFLAG Alamance happenings by visiting their full website at pflagalamance.org or their Facebook page.
- In addition to their facebook, PFLAG Alamance also has a monthly newsletter full of information for the Alamance LGBT Community and it’s supporters. Contact them at info@pflagAlamance.org to recieve it and become part of the PFLAG Community!
Places of Worship
Alamance County has several places of worship that are LGBTQIA-affirming including Elon Community Church, located on campus.
On campus, our Truitt Center for Religious and Spiritual Life also works with our Hillel to provide inclusive faith services that are affirming around LGBTQIA identities.
Also within the county, we have a newer mosque/masjid that has been active in social justice causes across the county and state. It serves as a welcoming place for people across many identities and is a recent addition to the growing diverse faith communities being created across Alamance County.
Winston-Salem hosts an annual pride festival, and Winston-Salem is less than 1 hour west of Elon University.
Winston-Salem Pride Festival was hosted on Saturday, October 13, 2018 in Downtown Winston-Salem on Trade St.
For more info on Winston-Salem Pride, you can check out their official website at www.pridews.org