Housing Options for LGBTQIA Students
Find Out Your Options!
For information on exploring housing options for LGBTQIA students, contact Aneshia Jerralds, Associate Director of Residence Life, or Luis Garay, Director of the Gender & LGBTQIA Center. Every effort will be made to accommodate students’ housing needs including requests for specific neighborhoods or Living Learning Communities. Housing requests are not guaranteed, and students must qualify for a particular type of housing option to receive an assignment there. Assignments are based on space availability.
Gender & Sexuality Living Learning Community
Elon is proud to say that they have a Gender & Sexuality LLC. Closely connected with the Gender & LGBTQIA Center and Women & Gender studies program at Elon, the LLC is designed to aid students who are interested in Gender & Sexuality topics by giving them a safe and engaging living environment.
Located in Colonnnades A, the LLC is composed of single rooms and single baths, or four single rooms with two shared bathrooms, available for students of all genders.
The Gender & Sexuality Living Learning Community is a community that is open to any student wishing to explore topics around gender identity and sexual orientation as continuums.
This Living Learning Community connects closely with Elon’s Gender & LGBTQIA Center, full of resources devoted to students’ academic, personal, and social development. Academically, the LLC will closely connect with the work of the Women’s, Gender, & Sexualities Studies (WGSS) minor program.
Students explore linkages across personal lived experiences & theoretical concepts of gender and sexuality. Students will increase their knowledge and awareness of particular topics from evolving language terms to bias incidents to current events. There will be opportunities to attend campus-wide speakers on topics, including feminism, masculinity, and sexual identities. A feature of the learning community will be small-group reflection with fellow students.
- Attend events with on campus speakers
- Connect with experts around the topic of gender and sexuality
- Engage with students who share your interest in gender and sexuality
LLC Dorm Styles
How to Apply
Returning Students: Visit the Living Learning Community Application page to learn more
Incoming Students: Visit the Living Learning Community Application page to learn more
For additional information on the Gender & Sexuality LLC visit the Gender & Sexuality LLC webpage.
Gender Inclusive Housing
Gender Inclusive Housing (GIH) provides students with the opportunity to room with student(s) regardless of sex, gender, gender identity/expression, or sexual orientation. Elon offers GIH options to help create an environment that acknowledges, appreciates, and respects our diverse student body while giving students more flexibility to participate in a living-learning community of their choice and find, or be placed with, a supportive roommate. This community is open to all residential students.
- Returning Students: Students may choose their own roommates/apartment-mates as part of the returning student Housing Selection process.
- Incoming Students:
- Students in Gender Inclusive Housing can initially choose their roommates, or be placed with someone else interested in Gender Inclusive Housing
- Limited scholarships are available for students with significant financial need who may also need to be assigned a single room. Please contact email@example.com.
- Students selecting Gender Inclusive Housing assignments agree to the rules established regarding the filling of vacancies. Should a space in GIH become vacant, the current occupant will be contacted to discuss how to best fill the space or Residence Life will work to fill the space as is needed.
How to Apply for Gender Inclusive Housing
- When completing your housing application, there will be a designated question that asks “Are you interested in living in Gender Inclusive Housing?” At that time, you should indicate your interest in Gender Inclusive Housing.
- Students who indicate an interest will have a few brief additional questions displayed within the housing application
- Students who do NOT indicate an interest will be prompted to continue with the rest of the housing application
- After submitting the application, Residence Life staff will contact those who indicated a preference for Gender Inclusive Housing to discuss their options and determine the best placement.
If you have any questions, concerns, or specific needs to be considered, please feel free to contact Residence Life at firstname.lastname@example.org.