Join our LGBTQIA Employee Resource Group!
The LGBTQIA ERG is an open space for LGBTQIA hot topics in the workplace, a brainstorm session for advancing Elon’s campus climate, a resource on benefits and additional fac/staff topics, and a way for people to connect socially and professionally.
Food is often provided, and there’s also a lucky prize or two…! Food for thought, plus food for your belly – what more could you ask for? ALL are welcome to join, including Allies!
Spring 2017 Faculty/Staff Gatherings
Save to your Calendar – Dates/Times/Locations:
- Friday, January 27 / Oak House 5:00-7:00 (Mixer with LGBTQIA Alumni Network, see below)
- Thursday, February 23 / Oak House 5:00-6:00 (Happy Hour Social)
- Wednesday, March 8 / Oaks 212 12:00-1:00 (Building a Living LGBTQIA History at Elon)
- Thursday, April 27 / Oak House 5:00-6:00 (Happy Hour Social)
Friday, January 27 – LGBTQIA Faculty/Staff Mixer with LGBTQIA Alumni Network
A collabo across Elon’s LGBTQIA Employee Resource Group & Office for Alumni Engagement, join us for food and drink as LGBTQIA faculty & staff mingle with Elon’s LGBTQIA Alumni Network as part of their leadership retreat. Like any good radio station, we will have Elon alumni from the ’80s, ’90s, ’00s, and ’10s, so tune in to Oak House on Fri Jan 27, 5:00-7:00. Food and free drink ticket for every attendee, join us!
Mission Statement of the LGBTQIA ERG
The LGBTQIA Employee Resource Group builds community across faculty and staff who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, questioning, queer, intersex, and asexual. Our monthly gatherings alternate between happy hour socials that build community and lunchtime meetings around LGBTQIA topics of interest that impact the personal and professional lives of Elon’s LGBTQIA faculty and staff. We have a consensus-style leadership team, so for more info, please contact any of our LGBTQIA ERG Leadership Team.
The LGBTQIA employee research group is organized by a leadship team. Please contact us if you have questions or are interested in getting involved:
- Dana Carnes, DCarnes@elon.edu
- Laurin Kier, LKier@elon.edu
- Jack Smith, JSmith40@elon.edu
- Matthew Antonio Bosch, MBosch3@elon.edu
Socially, we’ve hosted gatherings including Happy Hours, pre-Holiday Party socials, plus an August Welcome Back Gathering for new & returning LGBTQIA faculty and staff. We also meet up at Lavender Graduation every May. We’ve done everything from a “Pin the Tail on Olaf” game (from the movie “Frozen”) to meeting up at local Pride Festivals including Alamance Pride, Greensboro Pride, & NC Pride to walk in the parades.
Professionally, we engage with our Senior Administrators on emerging and ongoing topics related to LGBTQIA faculty and staff on campus. We created a very useful “How To Report Bias Incidents” flyer to help publicize Elon’s new protocol, and we have also hosted several educational brown bags on topics including Trans Identities, Marriage Equality, & Benefits. We have created a new LGBTQIA Mentor/Mentee Program, pairing faculty & staff with LGBTQIA students, to help them navigate their time at Elon.
Topics We Explore
- Hot Topics in the Workplace
- Pros & Cons of being ‘Out at Work’
- Benefits for LGBTQIA Couples
- Faculty & Staff Professional Development Opportunities
- Advancing Campus Climate for LGBTQIA Students at Elon
- Connecting the Elon Campus Community with the Local Community