Vice President for Student Life Jon Dooley shared information on Monday, Dec. 5 about operations and safety on campus during winter break, which runs from the conclusion of final exams on Friday, Dec. 9, through Tuesday, Jan. 3, 2023.
Winter Break for undergraduate students and some graduate programs begin after final exams on Dec. 9. Several campus services will be closed or have limited hours until Winter Term begins Tuesday, Jan. 3, 2023.
As a reminder, there are several 24/7 services available throughout this time.
- Campus Safety & Police can be reached at 336-278-5555. They can also assist with connections to the Student Life on-call administrators.
- On-call crisis counselors are available at 336-278-2222.
- SAFEline is available at 336-278-3333 for confidential support with identity-based bias, sexual violence, or interpersonal violence – they can also be a confidential resource to access on-call violence responders.
Below are hours of student services operations during the break. Please note that University offices are closed from Friday, Dec. 23, through Friday, Dec. 30.
Residence halls and university apartments
- Residence halls (not apartments, as they remain open) close at 10 a.m. on Saturday, Dec. 10, 2022. Student Staff will conduct modified health and safety checks in each room to ensure the safety of the halls during this extended break period.
- Students in University apartments who are not returning for winter and spring terms must move out by 10 a.m. on Sunday, Dec. 11.
Information about requests to stay late or return early can be found on the Break Housing page of the Residence Life website.
- Offices remain open during the break during regular weekday business hours, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., except when University offices are closed.
- Residence halls will re-open at 10 a.m. on Sunday, Jan. 1, 2023. Students arriving on Jan. 1 or 2 will check-in at the Janice Ratliff Building (not neighborhood offices).
Secure your residence
Whether you live on-campus or off-campus, make sure you secure your room, apartment or house. Other important steps to take before you leave:
- Unplug all appliances
- Hide or relocate valuables and move expensive items away from windows
- Secure any non-perishable food in airtight containers or cabinets; discard any perishable food from your refrigerator
- Empty all trash; if you live off campus, secure your trash and recycling containers
- Check all water faucets to make sure they are completely off
- Set your thermostat to 50-55 degrees
- Off-campus, if you have a hidden spare key outside of your residence, make sure you remove it
- Make sure all doors and windows are shut and locked
For students in off-campus housing, please remember that your water bill will be due on Dec. 15 and Jan. 15. Pay online to avoid late charges or have services turned off while you are away.
Students residing in off-campus residences may request a Vacation Home Check, a service provided by the Town of Elon Police – complete the online form available here.
If you plan to leave your vehicle on campus during Winter Break, you may leave it in your permitted lot or park it in the Innovation Quad lot, Historic Neighborhood lot, or the lot on the south side of the Student Health Center on south campus. Make sure your vehicle is locked and you take any valuables with you.
- Asymptomatic testing is available in the Oaks, McCoy Commons, during regular hours except for Dec. 26-30.
- Visit the Campus Health Status and Alerts website for other COVID-19 testing options.
Below are the hours for student service operations during Winter Break:
- The library will close at 5 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 9 and will operate on a reduced schedule until resuming regular operating hours at 8 a.m. on Monday, Jan. 2.
- Belk Library will be open for Phoenix cardholders and community members 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday, Dec. 12 through Friday, Dec. 16, and Monday, Dec. 19 through Thursday, Dec. 22.
- The library will be closed Friday, Dec. 23, through Sunday, Jan. 1.
- Visit the Belk Library website for information about library hours for Phoenix cardholders and community members.
- All Elon Express routes will stop service at the end of shifts on Dec. 9 and will resume their schedule on Sunday, Jan. 1.
- The Elon Express schedules and routes are available online here.
Campus Recreation and Wellness
- Campus Recreation and Wellness facilities will have adjusted hours from Friday, Dec. 2 through Sunday, Jan. 1.
- The PARC fitness center will remain open from 6 a.m. to midnight daily throughout Fall Exams and Winter Break.
- Visit the Campus Recreation and Wellness website and scroll to “Fall Exams and Winter Break Hours” for adjusted hours of operation.
- Counseling Services will close Friday, Dec. 23. Regular operating hours will resume Monday, Jan. 2.
- TimelyCare free virtual medical and mental health service is available 24/7 throughout the break from anywhere in the United States.
- The crisis counselor on-call also remains available 24/7 by calling 336-278-2222. If a student is experiencing a psychological emergency that is life-threatening or involves imminent danger (risk of harm to self or others at any time), call 9-1-1 for immediate assistance.
- A list of adjusted locations and hours for Exam Week is located online here. Hours will vary during the week.
- From Dec. 12-22, Wintergarden Cafe will be open weekdays, 8 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- All dining facilities will be closed on weekends.
- Dining hours will open for brunch on Sunday, Jan. 1.
- Menus and hours for dining locations across campus are always available online here: https://www.elondining.com/menu-hours/
- If you are ordering online, be sure to double-check the delivery address. Please only ship items to campus if you are on campus. Items will not be forwarded.
- Mail Services will operate normal hours except for the following closed days: Dec. 10-11, December 17-18, and Dec. 23 through Jan. 1.
- Regular operating hours will resume on Monday, Jan. 2.
- Visit the Mail Services website for updated hours and operations.
- Shipping carriers will hold items while Mail Services is closed.
- The Moseley Center’s hours of operation during Winter Break are the following:
- Friday, Dec. 9: 7 a.m. -5 p.m.
- Saturday, Dec. 10: Closed
- Sunday, Dec. 11: Closed
- Dec. 12-16: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Saturday, Dec. 17: 9 a.m. -1 p.m.
- Sunday, Dec. 18: Closed
- Dec. 19-22: 8 a.m. -5 p.m.
- Dec. 23-Jan. 1: Closed
- Monday, Jan. 2: 8 a.m. – midnight
- Regular operating hours will resume on Monday, Jan. 2
- Visit the Moseley Center website here for information about adjusted hours.
Student Health Services
- Students experiencing a medical emergency should call 9-1-1 for immediate assistance.
- Student Health Services will be closed to patients from Dec. 9 at 4 p.m. to Jan. 2, at 9 a.m.
- TimelyCare medical telehealth service is available 24/7 throughout the break. For information about how to access the service, visit the appointments page of the Student Health Services website.
- Administrative staff will be available by phone at 336-278-7230 or email@example.com for immunization questions on Dec. 12-16 and Dec. 19-22, 9- 11 a.m. and 2-4 p.m.
- Adjusted operating hours will be observed on Jan. 2., 9 a.m.- 4 p.m.
- Regular operating hours will resume on Jan. 3.
- Visit the Student Health Services website for information on hours and appointment times.
Good luck on your final exams, and best wishes for a safe and relaxing break. See you in 2023!
Dr. Jon Dooley
Vice President for Student Life