NEW STUDENTS– Begin submitting your immunization records NOW! *NOTE– You do NOT need a recent physical, only proof of vaccines.

NC Immunization Requirements

North Carolina law requires children and college students receive certain vaccines and immunizations. To be fully protected from vaccine-preventable diseases, children should receive all age-appropriate immunizations unless there are viable medical or religious contraindications. Elon University may require additional immunizations and vaccines.

Elon University follows the NC Immunization Branch of NCDHHS and the American College Health Association’s guidelines regarding immunizations for college students. All students taking more than 4 credit hours are required to meet these guidelines.

Students should log-on to their Phoenix Health Portal to view details regarding each required immunization.

For more information about vaccine-preventable diseases and immunizations required and recommended, please refer to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP), the Immunization Action Coalition, and the Department of Health and Human Services.

Required Vaccines

Vaccine Number of Doses Required Before School Entry
Diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis (TD/DTAP/TDAP) 3 doses
Polio 3 doses
Measles 2 doses
Mumps 2 doses
Rubella 1 dose
Hepatitis B (Hep B) 3 doses
Varicella 1 dose
Meningitis ACWY 1 dose after the age of 16

Please note: Some students, including those in the School of Health Sciences, may be required to provide proof of additional vaccinations/immunizations for clinicals, internships or travel that exceed the university expectations. Please familiarize yourself with the specific requirements of your program.


  • New graduate and undergraduate Summer I students- Deadline is May 15
  • New graduate and undergraduate Summer II students- Deadline is June 15
  • Undergraduate students starting in August- Deadline is July 1
  • Incoming Law students- Deadline is August 1
  • MSA, I-Media, MHE- Deadline is August 15
  • School of Health Sciences (DPT and PA)- Deadline is December 1.

Submitting Immunization Records

Students must set-up Duo Mobile before accessing any password protected sites, including the Phoenix Health Portal.

Immunization records are accepted via the Phoenix Health Portal only. No records are accepted via mail, fax, or email.

The homepage of the Phoenix Health Portal has specific step-by-step directions.  If you are a domestic student and you received your vaccines inside the United States, it may be possible to request your vaccine dates and records by logging into the Portal and submitting a Verivax request (further instructions listed under the “Immunization Tab”).

**This service is not available for those that reside in AK, HI, NC, NH, ME, VT, and DC currently or International Students.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I submit vaccine records?

The only way vaccine records are accepted is by uploading them to your Phoenix Health Portal. Please see the home page of the Portal for step-by-step directions. **No records are accepted via mail or email.

How does the compliance process work?

Once a students has taken the following actions on their Phoenix Health Portal:

1. Entered all of their immunization dates and clicked “submit”

2. Uploaded proof/documentation of each immunization and clicked “upload”

3. Completed the TB Screening Questionnaire under “forms” *Students determined to be “high risk” will need to print off the accompanying form, have their medical provider sign it and then upload the document.

THEN medical staff will review and verify immunizations. During peak times, this process can take up to 5 business days.

Students should periodically check their Portal to see detailed information about their compliance status and what might be missing. Additionally, students should monitor their Elon email account regularly for messages.

How do I know if I am missing immunizations?

After you have submitted the dates for your immunizations AND upload records, medical staff will need to review them. Please allow 3-5 business days for this process.

Students should check their status by logging onto the Phoenix Health Portal and clicking “immunizations”. You will see a list of missing immunizations in red. Immunizations listed in yellow are awaiting verification from medical staff.

*Please allow 24 hours for your Acorn Account to accurately reflect any changes.

I cannot log-in to my Phoenix Health Portal. What should I do?

1. Make sure you have Duo Mobile set-up BEFORE accessing any password protected sites, including the Phoenix Health Portal.

2. When logging onto the Health Portal for the first time, make sure you chose “Elon University” from the drop-down box of institutions.

3. Clear your browsing history, cache and cookies.

4. Try a different web-browser.

5. Contact campus technology services for more help: 336-278-5200

I am an employee. Am I required to submit immunization records?


Regardless of your employment status, all employees taking more than 4 credit hours are required to submit vaccine records.

I am a Collegiate Start (high school) student. Am I required to submit immunization records?

Yes. You are required to submit records.

I am an international student. What do I do?

While we understand that immunizations may vary in your home country, you are required to receive all immunizations that you are eligible for before arrival to campus. Please begin the vaccination process right away to allow for delays. Additionally, share a copy of the vaccine requirements with your medical provider or travel agency to begin the immunization protocol.

*If your records are not in English, they need to be translated before uploading to your Phoenix Health Portal.

How do I find my vaccine records?

You can locate your immunization records several ways:

  • Contact your medical provider
  • Check your home state’s immunization registry
  • Ask your prior educational institution for a copy
  • Contact your military branch

*Lack of immunization records does NOT excuse the requirement. If you are unable to locate records, you will need to begin the immunization protocol again.

What do I do if I need an immunization?

If you are at home, contact your medical provider or local health department.

If you are located in the Elon area, we suggest you make an appointment with a medical provider in Student Health Services to discuss the immunization and to obtain a prescription (if necessary).

Depending on the immunization type, you may need to visit an outside pharmacy (CVS, Walgreens, Target, etc.) or the Alamance County Health Department to get the vaccine.

I recieved an email stating thiat I am noncompliant for immunization requirements. What do I do?

First log onto your Phoenix Health Portal and see what immunizations are missing.

If you feel that you have received said immunization and don’t understand why it is listed:

  • Have you checked your messages in the Portal to see if you received some guidance about it?
  • Have you entered the date(s)?
  • Have you uploaded proof of the vaccine? Does the proof show your name and date of birth?
  • Have you received the vaccine within the specific guidelines listed on the Portal?

I am a parent and would like to speak to someone about my student's specific immunization records. What do I do?

Elon University is legally and ethically obligated to protect the confidentiality of students’ records under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).

Parents must have consent from the student for Elon University to discuss their specific immunizations records. A FERPA Release Form must be completed by the student on behalf of the parent. Please keep in mind, the student must clearly state to whom, and exactly what information is being released. If an inquiry is made regarding a topic that isn’t expressly written on the form, it cannot be released. Please see the Registrars office website for more information.

How do I get my vaccine records from Elon?

please email to request historical vaccine records from Elon.

Requesting a Medical or Religious Exemption to Required Vaccines

Students may apply for exemption from state-required immunizations on grounds of permanent medical contraindication or conflicting religious beliefs. See the NC Immunization Branch website for more information on medical and religious exemptions for state-required immunizations.

If a student receives an approved medical or religious exemption for state-mandated immunizations, then university-required immunizations will be exempted as well.

Medical Exemption Request

Medical exemptions for state-required immunizations will only be approved if the student follows the state mandated process. This includes having a physician licensed to practice medicine in the State of North Carolina that will certify that a required immunization is or may be detrimental to a person’s health due to the presence of one of the contraindications adopted by the Commission for Health Services, the person is not required to receive the specified immunization if the contraindication persists. Exemption forms and more details about requesting a medical exemption for state-required immunizations can be found at the NC Immunization Branch website.

All requests for medical exemptions must be submitted to and approved by the NC Department of Health and Human Services. Students should complete this exemption request and then upload the approved document to their Phoenix Health Portal.

Religious Exemption Request

There is no form for requesting religious exemptions for state required immunizations in North Carolina. A written statement of the student’s bona fide and sincerely held religious beliefs and opposition to the immunization requirements must be submitted with signature and date. Please include the student’s full name and date of birth. The statement should be uploaded to the Phoenix Health Portal.

Statements of religious objection to immunization do not need to be notarized, signed by a religious leader, or prepared by an attorney. They do not need to be submitted to the state for review or approval prior to submitting to the Phoenix Health Portal.

Public Health Measures for Students with Approved Exemptions

If an outbreak occurs on campus, the university will follow guidance by the NC Department of Health and Human Services and the Alamance County Health Department regarding mitigation measures for those not vaccinated. Depending upon the nature of the outbreak, this guidance may require increased testing, isolations or quarantine, relocation to off campus and restricted access to university facilities or programs until the epidemic or threat no longer constitutes a significant public health danger.

Questions about immunization compliance that are not addressed by our website should be directed to from the student’s Elon email account. You can also call Madelyn Pastrana at 336-278-5851.