Running & Biking Around Elon
With our beautiful campus and mild climate, Elon University and the surrounding community is a popular place for running and bicycling. This website is intended to provide you with information to keep you safe and to connect you with other students, faculty, and staff who enjoy running and/or biking.
Running Safety Tips
- Leave Word – it is always best to run with someone, but if you do run alone tell someone at home your intended route and estimated time of return.
- Identify Yourself – run with identification on you, such as your Phoenix Card or Road ID.
- Pretend You’re Invisible – run on sidewalks whenever possible, but if you run on the road do so under the assumption that drivers cannot see you.
- Face Traffic – cars can see you better, you can react more quickly, and it’s the law.
- Make Room – if you’re in an area of heavy traffic, use a sidewalk or the shoulder of the road.
- Be Seen – wear high-visibility, brightly colored clothing and consider reflective tape and/or blinkers at dusk or dawn.
- Unplug Your Ears – avoid headphones, or at least run with the volume low so you can hear outside noises.
- Watch the Hills – be especially careful when you crest hills.
- Watch for Early Birds and Night Owls – it is harder to see at this time, and drivers can be overtired and not as attentive.
- Mind Your Manners – be courteous and cautious at intersections, even if you have the right of way wait for drivers to wave you on or at least make eye contact before crossing the road.
Bicycle Safety Tips
- Protect Your Head – always wear a helmet.
- Stay Visible – use lights, reflectors, etc., especially at night, dawn, and dusk.
- Look, Signal, and Look Again – use hand signals when turning, and make eye contact with drivers; don’t assume they can see you or will stop.
- Stay Alert – keep a lookout for obstacles on the road.
- Go with the Flow – bike in the direction of traffic.
- Act Like a Car – drivers are used to the patterns of other drivers, so don’t weave in and out of traffic.
- Don’t Get Distracted – avoid listening to music or talking on the phone.
- Obey all Traffic Laws and Lights – always.
- Do a Quick Test – check brakes, wheels, saddle position, etc. before every ride.
Elon Resources for Runners and Bicyclists
- Download the Live Safe app: iTunes | Google Play
- Register your bicycle (requires university login)
- Campus blue light emergency phone locations
- Blinkers for runners – contact Campus Safety (336-278-5555, McCoy Commons)
- Road ID – wearable ID for runners and bikers
- Strava – tracking app for runners to notify people when they are running
- Elon Bike Shop
- Performance Bike – Greensboro