Campus Sustainability Week
October 4-8, 2021
Campus Sustainability Week is an opportunity for Elon students, faculty and staff to come together to examine sustainable habits, particularly as they relate to energy use, and inspire positive sustainable change throughout the Elon community. It is also an opportunity to learn about and celebrate Elon University’s current sustainable practices. A variety of events will take place throughout the week.
Campus Sustainability Week Competition
First, second and third place winners will be awarded based on the below criteria. There will be one set of student winners and another set of faculty/staff winners.
Winners are awarded based off of the following:
Number of energy reduction strategies identified via the above questionnaire
Number of events attended (check-ins will occur at each event)
Number of people recruited to the competition (based on questionnaire data)
First Place: $25 Phoenix Cash, hammock, sustainability t-shirt
Second Place: hammock, sustainability t-shirt
Third Place: sustainability t-shirt
Schedule of Events
MONDAY, OCTOBER 4
1:30-3:30 PM | Landfill on the Lawn (Phi Beta Kappa Plaza)
- Stop by Landfill on the Lawn to see how much of the campus’ landfill waste could actually be recycled or composted.
2-3:30 PM | Sustainable Room Spray Giveaway (Moseley Center)
- Relax and bring life to your room with a sustainable aromatherapy spray courtesy of the Eco-Rep Chloe. Stop by Moseley to grab a spray bottle or try your hand at some trivia questions to win sustainable prizes!
5:30-7:00 PM | Eco-Grief Tending in Community (Loy Farm- registration required)
- This program will explore the ever-increasing prevalence of grief in context of growing environmental crises and societal upheaval. In community, we will share our eco-grief with one another and learn practices to critically listen, to be present, and to harness compassion for ourselves, and for others, as tools to navigate loss and uncertainty.
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 5
2:00-3:00 PM | Tree Walk (Historic Neighborhood- meet at Fonville Fountain in front of Alamance – register here)
- During this 1 hour walk, Elon’s 2 Certified Arborists will walk through the historic district with you and talk about their favorite trees, the Tree Trail on campus, and some insider information on maintenance and sustainability of the Elon urban forest.
7:00-8:00 PM | Keynote Speaker, Danielle Purifoy: The Long Fight for Environmental Justice in North Carolina (McKinnon Hall; Moseley Center)
- This talk will connect the early origins of the environmental justice movement in North Carolina in the 1980s to contemporary place-based challenges that impact marginalized communities across the state. Though various polluting industries place disproportionate burden on communities of color and communities with low monetary wealth, environmental justice is also interested in larger processes of place development and in the underlying social, political, and economic structures undergirding them. Such development processes reveal far more than simple discrimination or market-based decision making that have been long used to explain environmental racism.
Sponsored by The Center for Race, Ethnicity & Diversity Education, the Department of Public Health Studies, the Environmental Studies Department, The Kernodle Center for Civic Life, The Office of Sustainability, and the Poverty and Social Justice program.
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 6
11:30 am-2:30 PM | Pop Up Swap Shop (Moseley Center, first floor)
- Do you have perfectly good clothing you no longer wear? Bring it to the Pop Up Swap Shop to trade it for new-to-you shirts, pants, dresses, and more!
6:00-7:00 PM | Mindful Eating (Loy Farm- registration required)
- Come learn about mindful eating and the effect of your diet on the planet at Loy Farm. Harvest your own food to make an in-season local salad!
9:00-10:00 PM | S’mores with Outdoors (Beck Pool Patio)
- Join Elon Outdoors and the Eco-Reps for a special Campus Sustainability Week S’mores with Outdoors!
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 7
3-6 PM | Authentically Alamance Farmers’ Market (Elon Community Church)
- Support local farmers, bakers, crafters and the local economy. Stop by the Office of Sustainability table to grab a reusable shopping bag to reduce your waste.
5-6 PM | Grow your own Sprouts! (Medallion Plaza)
- Grow your own sprouts using repurposed containers with Eco-Rep Ellie.
6-7 PM | Plant Powered Painting (Medallion Plaza)
- Get creative and paint with sustainable homemade paints made from natural ingredients by Eco-Rep Claire! Feel free to bring your own brushes or paper!
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 8
2-3 PM | Greener Cleaner (Daniel Commons)
- Join Eco-Rep Matthew on the Daniel Commons patio to make sustainable all-purpose surface cleaner. Feel free to bring your own spray bottle to reuse if possible!
3:00-5:00 PM | Bike to Burlington (registration required)
- Join Elon Outdoors and the Office of Sustainability on a bike ride to Burlington, where we’ll enjoy some ice cream while learning about local businesses and why they’re an important part of sustainability. Bikes will be provided, or you can bring your own!
5:30-6:30 PM | Meditation in the Garden (Meditation Garden- Numen Lumen Pavilion in Academic Village)
- Iron Tree Blooming club and Eco-Rep Sophie invite you to a peaceful meditation in the Academic Village Meditation Gardens and to learn about the importance of green space in sustainability.