LGBTQIA Alumni Network of Elon University
The LGBTQIA Alumni Network is an extension of Elon University’s Office of Alumni Engagement and the Gender & LGBTQIA Center. The acronym LGBTQIA is used here to refer to alumni who identify as: Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Questioning, Queer, Intersex, Asexual, and Ally.
The network unites and represents the interests of Elon University’s LGBTQIA alumni. We advocate on behalf of LGBTQIA alumni by building partnerships and promoting Elon University’s commitment to an inclusive and respectful community.
- To promote the investment of time, talent, and finances of alumni in the university
- To advocate for the inclusion of LGBTQIA presence across alumni initiatives & programs
- To support the mission of existing LGBTQIA structures across the university
- To recognize the accomplishments and achievements of LGBTQIA community members
- To promote professional development and networking for LGBTQIA undergraduates & alumni
Join our LGBTQIA Alumni Network
Stay up-to-date by following us on Facebook.
Become part of the LGBTQIA Alumni Network by contacting:
Membership & Leadership
We have over 300+ members already, with a strong Leadership Team! In fact, we’re always looking for more leaders! If you’re interested, please let us know. Members can simply join our LGBTQIA Alumni Network listserve, and Leaders serve as “thought leaders” for advancing LGBTQIA campus climate and connections across alumni and current students.
These emphasize 3 main areas with Elon’s “Partner, Advocate, Investor” philosophy for alumni:
Partner → Investment of Time
- Conference Calls with Leadership Team (1x/month)
- Physical Presence at Elon University 3 times per year – Summer Leadership Team Retreat / Homecoming Weekend (October) / Winter Leadership Team Retreat (Feb)
Advocate → Investment of Talent
- Brainstorming and enacting new engaging ideas, initiatives, and projects to grow the network
- Reaching out across your friend circles and region to connect with Elon alumni
- Informing OAE & GLC of any new or ongoing alumni connections
Investor → Investment of Finances
- For philanthropy, donate to the LGBTQIA-designated fund each year on Elon Day (March 7, 2017)
- Encourage others also to join in becoming a donor throughout the year
On Saturday, October 17, 2016, Elon’s LGBTQIA Alumni Network hosted the LGBTQIA Alumni Awards Brunch from 11am-1pm. Community Enrichment awards were given out to deserving alumni, faculty, staff, and students including Joshua McIntosh, Laurin Kier, and Michael Bumbry (pictured below) as well as Elizabeth Rogers, and Lee Buono. It was the largest attendance to date, as the network has grown and grown every year! For information on Homecoming 2017, please check out the Homecoming website.