The mission of the Office of Health Promotion – Violence Prevention and Response is to provide the campus community with comprehensive prevention, education, advocacy and response around issues of bias, discrimination, harrasment, interpersonal or sexual violence. Our approach addresses individual, interpersonal, community and environmental factors in order to make our campus a safer, healthier and happier place.
• 24 hour confidential response to students, faculty and staff who have experienced sexual or interpersonal violence
• SPARKS! Peer Education programs, including increased programs around safer sex practices, healthy relationships and cultural literacy
• Campus wide programming to raise awareness around bias, discrimination, sexual violence, relationship violence and other correlated issues
• Programming for students, faculty and staff regarding issues such as body image, media literacy, bystander interventions, healthy relationships, sexual and realtionship violence prevention/response and healthy sexual choices
• Shared programming with other Health Promotion areas around issues correlated with violence including high risk drinking, other drug use, eating disorders and body image issues, gender stereotypes, and related issues of power and oppression
• Domestic Violence Awareness Month Activities (October)
• Sexual Assault Awareness Month Activities (April)
• Awareness Week Activities (including Take Back the Night)
• Men’s Initiatives
• Friend, Partner and Family member support and educational opportunities
• Interagency collaboration such as partnership with Alamance County Sexual Assault Response Team (SART), Family Abuse Services, CrossRoads and the Alamance County Family Justice Center.
• Collaboration and initiatives with Elon University’s Sexual Assault and Gender Issues Council and Inclusive Community Council
For additional information, programming or other assistance please contact:
Coordinator for Health Promotion – Violence Prevention and Response
A note from Smith Jackson, Vice President for Student Life and Dean of Students: