Preferred Name/Gender Marker Change

Preferred Name Change:

Elon allows a student to submit a preferred name that will appear in place of the student's legal name in certain university related records. Electing to use a preferred name will not change your legal name.

What is a preferred name?

A preferred name is a name that you choose to be used in place of your legal name on certain university related records or documents.
At this time, examples of where your preferred name would be used are:

     Campus Directory
     Class Rosters
     Degree Audit

Examples where your legal name would continue to be used are:

     Academic Records
     Financial Aid and Scholarships Documents
     Any legal document produced by the University

Setting a preferred name:

Requesting a preferred name may be submitted only by the student.  You may schedule a meeting with the University Registrar, Rod Parks, or the Associate Registrar, Robin Straka, to fill out a brief application to set your preferred name.

Please note:  There are limits to what you may select as a preferred name. Character limits and character restrictions are some examples. Other restrictions are set by the Office of the Registrar.  Examples of preferred names that will not be approved:

     Names containing foul or inappropriate language as deemed by the Registrar
     Names used for the purpose of misrepresentation

Gender Marker Change:

At Elon University, a request for a gender mark change may be submitted only by the student through the Office of the Registrar.  Please feel free to contact the University Registrar, Rod Parks, in Alamance Building, Room 102 or Associate Registrar, Robin Straka, in 305 Global Neighborhood Commons, to set up a confidential meeting to discuss changing your gender marker. We will be glad to help you update your personal information.

You will need to provide a certified copy of the court order or the new birth certificate documenting the gender marker change and name change if applicable.

Any questions may be directed to the Office of the Registrar at 336-278-6677.