Independent Study Submission Deadline
- Fall 2019: September 9, 2019
- Winter 2020: January 3, 2020
- Spring 2020: February 10, 2020
Guidelines for Independent Study
Please read these guidelines carefully to determine eligibility before initiating the application process.
Students may undertake independent study to explore special subject matter that is not available through cataloged courses. To receive credit for independent study, a student will work with a faculty member with the requisite expertise.
The purpose of the independent study option is to allow the student to pursue a subject in more depth than is available in a regular course. Students may engage in independent study of catalog courses, special topics, and research projects. In general, independent study is restricted to juniors/seniors, honor students, or students who need a specific course to graduate. Students will not be allowed to enroll in a course by independent study if that course is scheduled for that semester. Also, courses may not be repeated on this basis. The course requirements for an independent study should be detailed in a syllabus created specifically for each student. This syllabus is considered a contract between the instructor and the student. Within the syllabus the instructor should indicate the hours per week (e.g., 12 hours per week if 4 credit hours), assessment criteria, and work plan.
The procedure for taking courses on an independent study basis is as follows:
- The student contacts the professor under whom they wish to study. If the course of study is agreeable to both student and professor, the student should submit the Independent Study Application Form, with all supporting information. (Please note that incomplete or inaccurate application forms will not be approved.)
- The student confers with his/her academic advisor prior to submission.
- The student submits the completed application form for review and approval.
- The academic advisor is notified and the Instructor, the Chair of the Department and the Divisional Dean each review the electronic form to approve or deny the submission.
- Once all approvals are met, the form routes to the Registrar’s Office and is added to the student’s schedule.After the registration is processed, the Bursar’s Office receives notification. The student is responsible for any fees associated with adding the course.
Independent Studies should be processed during registration.
Independent study forms must be submitted by the last day to add a class each semester or term.
Under no circumstances should a student begin work on an independent study before the registration process has been completed.