Campus Name Change

Elon allows any student to submit a campus name that will appear in place of the student’s legal name in many university records. Electing to use a campus name will not change your legal name. We also ask that students let us know their pronouns. More information is available on the Chosen Name and Identity site.

What is a campus name?

A campus name is a name that students plan to go by on campus, this is the name we will use for university records and/or documents. It will be used in all applications unless legal name is required.

Why are you asking about pronouns?

We want students to be able to identify a pronoun they would like others to use when referring to them.

Current options are:

  • HE He/him/His
  • SHE She/her/hers
  • THEY They/them/their
  • ZE Ze/Hir/Hirs
  • NAME Use my name as pronoun

At this time your campus name and/or pronoun would be used in the following places:

  • Campus Directory
  • Class Rosters
  • Moodle
  • OnTrack
  • Degree Audit

Your legal name would continue to be used in the following places:

  • Academic Records
  • Transcripts
  • Financial Aid and Scholarships Documents
  • Any legal document produced by the University

Services for Transgender and Gender Nonconforming Students

A request for a campus name and/or pronoun to override all university systems except for those described above may be made to the University Registrar Rod Parks or the Senior Associate Registrar Robin Straka.

Please note: There are limits to what you may select as a campus name. Character limits and character restrictions apply.

Sex Marker Change

A request for a sex marker change may be submitted only by the student through the Office of the Registrar at Elon University. Please contact the University Registrar Rod Parks or Senior Associate Registrar Robin Straka in Alamance Building, Room 102 to set up a confidential meeting to discuss changing your sex marker. We will be glad to help you update your personal information.

You will need to provide a certified copy of the court order or the new birth certificate documenting the sex marker change and name change if applicable.

Any questions may be directed to the Office of the Registrar at 336-278-6677.