Approval to Take Courses at Other Institutions
Request to Transfer Credit to Elon University
(Currently enrolled students only)
All currently enrolled students wishing to transfer credit from other institutions to Elon must meet with the Associate Registrar, before registering for the course. To prepare for the meeting, secure and complete the form "Request to Transfer Credit to Elon University," available in Alamance 102 or on-line. You may make an appointment either by coming to the Registrar’s Office, located in Alamance 102, or calling (336) 278-6677.
Each course is evaluated on an individual basis and must be approved prior to registration in order to assure credit will be transferred.
The following guidelines apply to all requests.
A. To be eligible to transfer credit a student must be in good academic standing at Elon University and have a minimum 2.00 cumulative grade point average.
B. Semester or credit hours will transfer as awarded by the host institution (3 credit hours will transfer as 3 hours). Students transferring courses worth fewer than four semester hours should consult with their advisors or Academic Advising to make sure they will be able to meet the semester hour requirement in the affected program area.
C. Grades do not transfer from other institutions, only the credit hours transfer. Therefore, courses taken at other institutions do not affect the Elon GPA.
Questions may be directed to Robin Straka, Associate Registrar, (336) 278-6677.
Procedure for completing Request to Transfer Credit to Elon form.
1. Determine which course or graduation requirement you would like to fulfill. Review the Academic Catalog and consult your advisor if you need assistance.
2. Select the college or university at which you would like to take courses (this is the host institution). The institution must be accredited by a regional accrediting agency that is recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education.
3. Review the schedule of classes for the semester you wish to attend and select the course(s) you would like to take.
4. Get a copy of the catalog description for each course you wish to take. Most colleges and universities have this information available on their Web sites. The document is often (but not always) called Academic Catalog, Undergraduate Bulletin or Course Catalog.
5. Complete parts A, B, and C of the form "Request to Transfer Credit to Elon University" available in Alamance 102 or on-line.
6. Meet with your advisor to review your request. Use this meeting to make sure your course selection is appropriate for your educational goals and graduation requirements. Your advisor must review and sign your request before you meet with the Associate Registrar.
7. Schedule an appointment with the Associate Registrar. You must bring the request form, completed and signed by both you and your advisor, and the course description(s) to the meeting.
Office of the University Registrar, 2/13