Transfer Credit Evaluations

Occasionally, students take courses at other accredited colleges and universities. It is very important that students get pre-appoval for these courses and understand the eligibility to transfer the credit hours back to Elon. The following are guidelines for securing an approval to take courses at other institutions.

  • Students earn credit for courses taken through college parallel programs at accredited junior colleges or community colleges and for courses taken at accredited four-year colleges and universities.

  • Transfer credit is given on a course-by-course basis.

  • Courses must be in the same department as offered at Elon and must be similar in nature.

  • Courses that are in the same department but not similar in nature usually transfer as elective credit.

  • Courses with a grade of "C-" or better are transferred. The hours earned transfer as well as the course itself. The grade does not transfer; therefore, GPA is not affected.

  • Classes that are considered general college-level courses such as sociology, history, literature, etc., usually transfer. Secretarial or medical technician classes, for example, will not transfer.

  • Semester-hour credit will transfer the same (3 hrs. for 3 hrs.). A quarter hour is considered two-thirds of a semester hour (5 qh equals 3 sh).

  • No more than 65-semester hours of credit will be allowed from two-year institutions.

  • Credit will not be given for classes taken at another institution while a student is under academic suspension.

  • Credit will only be awarded after the official transcript from the other institution has been received in our office.  The institution attended must forward official transcripts to the following address:

Elon University
Office of the Registrar
2106 Campus Box
Elon NC, 27244

Questions may be directed to Robin Straka, (336) 278-6677.

You may access the Permission to Transfer Credit from USA Institutions form here.