Submission deadline EXTENDED to May 2!
We welcome submissions from ALL terms and experiences — those that make us reminisce about global experiences before COVID-19, and those that make us think about what “global” means during and after COVID-19. Details below.
Do you have compelling photos or videos from your Study Abroad, Study USA, international student study, or other global experience? Ready to win a free flight, or other prizes? Submit an entry to the Global Photo and Video Contest!
- Submit photos/video: April 21 – May 2
- First round of voting (on @ElonGlobal Facebook): May 4 – 7
- Final round of voting (on @ElonGlobal Instagram) — UPDATED: May 18 – 20
Please read the official rules and submission guidelines below before submitting your entry.
Submitting a Photo or Video
To enter, please click the title of each category and complete the linked form (coming soon). For each submission, you’ll include:
- Your name
- Your class year or status at Elon
- Submission location
- Program name (if applicable)
- A brief description or caption
You may submit ONE entry to EACH category for which you qualify.
You may notice overlap between categories, and you may have a submission that you think applies to more than one category.
While you may submit only one entry per eligible category, if you’d like assistance matching submissions to categories, or understanding the difference between categories, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Current Elon students, Elon alumni and Elon faculty and staff (current and emeritx) may submit to theme categories. Maximum one submission per category.
Resilience – Photos that celebrate the many facets of “resilience” — grit, compassion, flexibility, support, courage, authenticity, or your own interpretation. Photos that find the silver lining, or recognize the helpers, or show the Phoenix rising from the ashes.
Global Engagement – Photos that portray what global engagement means to you. This could be how an opportunity or challenge shaped your intercultural development, how your actions affected the community around you, or other moments of engaged global learning.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion – photos that disrupt stereotypes in global education. This could be showcasing study abroad or Study USA participation by historically minoritized populations, or uprooting stereotypes, or otherwise challenging damaging myths (e.g. white savior complex, appropriation, etc.).
Striking Scenes – photos that make you pause and consider the wonder of the world. From a sweeping landscape to a bustling street – moments that made you stop in your tracks just to be where you are.
Only those that fit the participant description should submit to these categories. Maximum one submission per eligible category.
International Community – entries from those having their international experience right here at Elon, or attending Elon from their home country. The international community at Elon is vibrant and dynamic, including students from over 45 different countries studying in the U.S. on a student visa, Americans and dual citizens that have significant lived experience abroad, those that have chosen to become permanent residents of the U.S., and others. Submit a photo of your international experience at Elon or from your home outside of the U.S.
Study USA – entries from Elon Study USA participants (current students or alumni) taken on a Study USA program (a Study USA Center or short-term program).
Graduate Programs – entries from Elon’s graduate participants, including Business (MBA), Business Analytics (M.S.), Accounting (M.S.), Interactive Media (M.A.), Education (M.Ed.), Higher Education (MHE), Physician Assistant Studies (MS), Physical Therapy (DPT), and Law (J.D.). Submit photos from your Elon global experiences, whether that’s on campus or on study abroad.
Alumni – entries from Elon alumni from study abroad or Study USA in years past or showcasing global impact in experiences following Elon (e.g. living abroad, working in globally focused fields, etc.).
Faculty and Staff – entries from Elon faculty and staff (current and emeritx) showcasing global learning. From leading a short-term program or serving as faculty in residence at an Elon Center, to participating on the staff advisory council global engagement program, to mentoring independent research or service globally – we know global learning takes many shapes at Elon, and we want to celebrate all the ways faculty and staff help make this happen.
Current Elon students may submit to this category. Maximum one submission.
Video – (no more than 60 seconds) that encapsulates what global education means to you. We’re not looking for polished, heavily edited submissions; rather, we’re looking for video moments of global engagement.
All photos will automatically be nominated for the Global Education Center (GEC) Staff’s Choice award. For more information on this, please see the ‘Voting & Winning’ section.
Photo Submission Guidelines
- Submissions are limited to one entry per category. In other words, you may submit one photo for each Theme category, one photo for each Participant category for which you qualify, and one video. You may NOT submit more than one entry to any category.
- The contest accepts submissions from all over the world — both abroad and within the United States.
- Submissions do NOT need to be from the past year.
- The photo contest will be open to all Elon students, faculty, staff and alumni. The video category is open to current Elon students. Global Education Center (GEC) staff are not eligible to win but are still encouraged to submit photos.
- Contestants must submit via an Elon email address.
- Contestants cannot submit entries they have previously submitted to this contest.
- Use good judgement when submitting photos. Successful photos will show compelling scenes, encounters with difference, and engaged learning regardless of location. It is not necessary for the photo to have been taken on an Elon-affiliated Study Abroad or Study USA experience; submissions from personal experiences abroad and in the U.S. are welcome (except for the Study USA participant category, which must be taken on a Study USA program). However, there must be something compelling about the photo. For instance, Australians celebrating Australia Day at the beach is compelling; friends relaxing at the beach over spring break is not. GEC staff reserve the right to accept and reject photos as they see fit.
- Submissions deemed inappropriate or not reflective of the Global Education Center’s values will not be allowed to enter the contest. If you have any questions about whether your photo or video is appropriate, please email email@example.com. Examples of inappropriate submissions include but are not limited to photos or video depicting dangerous behavior or activities not covered by insurance, the use of drugs, inappropriate use of alcohol, or content that is culturally disrespectful or dishonest. Keep in mind that once content is posted, it is no longer in your hands. Ensure that you are conscientious in writing your entry description and that they do not perpetuate harmful narratives (i.e. white savior complex, appropriation, etc.).
- You must have the right to distribute and take credit for photos or video you submit, including permission by those photographed or filmed.
- GEC staff will make the final determination on category.
- By submitting to the contest you agree that Elon University can use your photo or video for promotional or educational purposes, such as on brochures, in orientation handbooks, on social media, and elsewhere.
- Contestants may encourage voting on social media within reason. Contestants that are determined to promote to the point of harassment will be removed from the contest.
- By submitting a photo or video you agree to be bound to the preceding guidelines.
Video Submission Guidelines
In addition to the photo contest guidelines listed above, video submissions should adhere to the following:
- Submissions are limited to one video per person.
- Videos should be no more than 60 seconds.
- Videos should not be heavily edited; rather, we’re looking for video moments that depict what global engagement means to you.
- Videos should be shot horizontally (landscape) at 1080p or higher, and submitted in .mp4 format.
- Any music included must be royalty free or otherwise permissible to use.
Voting and Prizes
Win a PHOTO CATEGORY by first-round vote count on Facebook.
- Submissions will be posted to albums on the @ElonGlobal Facebook page on May 4.
- Votes can be cast starting Tuesday, May 4 until 5 p.m., Friday, May 7.
- To vote, simply react to (like, love, etc.) a submission. Comments do not count as votes, and reactions must be to the original photo — not a shared post.
- One person may vote for as many submissions as they like but may not vote for a photo more than once.
- The submission in each category that receives the most ‘reactions’ will be the category winner. Contestants cannot win more than one category (across video and photo categories).
Category winners win a $10 gift card to The Oak House and advance to the final round of voting on Instagram.
Win the VIDEO category by first-round vote count on Facebook.
- Submissions will be posted to a video album on the @ElonGlobal Facebook page on May 4.
- Votes can be cast starting Tuesday, May 4 until 5 p.m., Friday, May 7.
- To vote, simply react to (like, love, etc.) a video. Comments do not count as votes, and reactions must be to the original video — not a shared post.
- One person may vote for as many submissions as they like, but may not vote for a video more than once.
- The video that receives the most ‘reactions’ will be the category winner. Contestants cannot win more than one category (across video and photo categories).
Video winner wins a $25 gift card to The Oak House and advance to the final round of voting on Instagram.
Win OVERALL by vote count on Instagram.
- Category winners will have their photos and video posted to our @ElonGlobal Instagram page on May 7.
- Votes can be cast starting 2 p.m. Tuesday, May 18 until 5 p.m. Thursday, May 20.
- To vote, like the post. Comments do not count as votes, and “likes” must be for the original post — not a shared post.
- One person may vote for as many photos as they like, but may not vote for a photo more than once.
- The post with most likes will be our overall winner. The overall winner, then, will forfeit their category prize, and the submission in that category with the second-highest votes becomes that category winner.
The overall winner wins a $350 flight voucher, courtesy of Direct Travel.
Win DIRECT TRAVEL STAFF PICK by Direct Travel staff's selection.
Direct Travel staff will select the photo or video that best showcases an “inspiring educational travel experience.”
Direct Travel Staff Pick wins a $25 Oak House gift card.
Win GEC STAFF PICK by GEC nomination and vote.
All submissions are automatically nominated for GEC Staff Pick.
The GEC staff nominates and votes upon submissions internally to select the photo or video that tells the most compelling story from the perspective of experiential and international educators.
GEC Staff Pick wins a $25 Oak House gift card.
Win PRESIDENT'S PICK by President Connie Ledoux Book's selection.
President Book will select the photo or video that best captures the Elon experience. President Book will choose from GEC-nominated photos and videos.
President’s Pick wins a $25 Oak House gift card.
2018 Winners and Oak House Gallery