Do you have compelling photos from your Study Abroad, Study USA, international student study, or other global experience? Ready to win a free flight, or other prizes? Submit an entry to the Global Photo Contest — plus, new in 2019, submit to the Global Video Contest!
- Submit photos/video: April 23-30
- First round of voting (on @ElonGlobal Facebook): May 1-6
- Final round of voting (on @ElonGlobal Instagram): May 7-10
Please read the official rules and submission guidelines below before submitting your entry.
Submitting a Photo or Video
To enter, please fill out this google form FOR EACH SUBMISSION with the following:
- Your name
- Your class year (if student) or job title (if faculty/staff)
- Program name (if applicable) and/or location of photo (city/country)
- Preferred category (Stories, States, or Scenes)
- A brief description or caption (25 words or fewer)
Submit to three photo categories:
Stories: Submit a photo that tells the story of what global engagement means to you. This could be how community engagement affected you, how an opportunity or challenge shaped your intercultural understanding or development, how your actions affected those around you, or other moments of engaged learning.
States: Submit a photo that shows global engagement and encountering difference within the United States.
Scenes: Submit a photo that tells a story through natural landscapes or urban scenes.
Along with the three categories, we will also be hosting a new Video category!
Video: Submit a video that either shows what global engagement means to you, or explains how an opportunity or challenge shaped your intercultural understanding.
All photos will automatically be nominated for the Global Education Center (GEC) Staff’s Choice award. For more information on this, please see the ‘Voting & Winning’ section.
Submissions will not be accepted after 11:59 p.m. on Tuesday, April 30.
Photo Submission Guidelines
- Submissions are limited to one photo per person per category. In other words, you may submit one photo for ‘Stories’, one photo for ‘States’, and/or one photo ‘Scenes.’ You may NOT submit more than one photo to any category.
- The contest accepts photos taken both abroad and in the United States.
- The photo contest will be open to all Elon students (both domestic and international students), faculty, and staff. Global Education Center (GEC) staff are not eligible to win but are still encouraged to submit photos. Elon faculty and staff are not eligible to win the grand prize but can win category prizes.
- Contestants cannot submit photos they have previously submitted to this photo contest.
- Please use good judgement when submitting photos. Successful photos will show compelling scenes, encounters with difference, and engaged learning regardless of location. It is not necessary for the photo to have been taken on an Elon-affiliated Study Abroad or Study USA experience; submissions from personal experiences abroad and in the U.S. are welcome. However, there must be something compelling about the photo. For instance, Australians celebrating Australia Day at the beach is compelling; friends relaxing at the beach over spring break is not. GEC Staff reserve the right to accept and reject photos as they see fit.
- Submissions deemed inappropriate will not be allowed to enter the contest. If you have any questions about whether your photo is appropriate, please contact the GEC by calling 336-278-6700 or e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Examples of inappropriate submissions include but are not limited to photos depicting dangerous behavior or activities not covered by insurance, the use of drugs, or inappropriate use of alcohol.
- You must have the right to distribute and take credit for photos you submit, including permission by those photographed.
- GEC staff will make the final determination on photo category.
- By submitting a photo to the contest you agree that the GEC can post the photo to social media and use the photo in promotional materials or for other purposes.
- By submitting a photo you agree to be bound to the preceding guidelines.
Video Submission Guidelines
In addition to the photo contest guidelines listed above, video submissions should adhere to the following:
- Submissions are limited to one video per person.
- Videos should be between 10 and 30 seconds.
- Videos should not be heavily edited; rather, we’re looking for video moments that depict what global engagement means to you.
- Videos should be shot horizontally (landscape) at 1080p or higher, and submitted in .mp4 format.
Voting, Winning & Prizes
Win your CATEGORY (Scenes, Stories, States, or Video) by first-round vote count on Facebook.
- Submissions will be posted to albums on the @ElonGlobal Facebook page on Wednesday, May 1.
- Votes can be cast starting Wednesday, May 1 until 5 p.m. Monday, May 6.
- To vote, simply react to (like, love, etc.) a submission. Comments do not count as votes, and reactions must be to the original photo or video — not a shared post.
- One person may vote for as many submissions as they like, but may not vote for a photo or video more than once.
The submission in each category that receives the most ‘reactions’ will be the category winner. Contestants cannot win more than one category.
Category winners win a gift card to a local vendor.
Category winners will move on to the final round of voting on Instagram.
Win OVERALL by vote count on Instagram.
- Category winners will have their photos and video posted to our @ElonGlobal Instagram page on Tuesday, May 7.
- Votes can be cast starting Tuesday, May 7 until 5 p.m. Friday, May 10.
- To vote, like the post. Comments do not count as votes, and “likes” must be for the original post — not a shared post.
- One person may vote for as many photos as they like, but may not vote for a photo more than once.
- The post with most likes will be our overall winner.
The overall winner wins a $350 flight voucher, courtesy of Direct Travel.
Win GEC STAFF PICK by GEC nomination and vote.
All submissions will automatically be nominated for the Global Education Center (GEC) Staff’s Choice award.
The GEC staff nominates and votes upon submissions internally to select the photo or video that tells the most compelling story from the perspective of experiential and international educators.
GEC Staff’s Choice wins a gift card to a local vendor.
Win PRESIDENT'S PICK by President Connie Ledoux Book's vote.
NEW: President Book will select the photo or video that best captures the Elon experience. President Book will choose from GEC-nominated photos or videos.
President’s Pick wins a gift card to a local vendor.
2018 Winners and Oak House Gallery