Congratulations on making the decision to study abroad! Studying away is a big step, and Elon is here to support you as you embark on this journey. Preparing well and utilizing your resources will help you to maximize your experience.
- Obtain your passport (or renew!) – It is important to work on obtaining a passport early. You can visit the US Department of State’s website for more information. If you already have a passport, be sure the expiration date is at least six months beyond the end date of your program.
- Make a budget – Studying away comes with some expenses. Be sure to understand the cost of your program (including out of pocket costs!) Create a budget for yourself and be sure to factor in spending money! Elon’s website has a financial planning page, and advisors are always happy to talk about budgeting and scholarship opportunities.
- Packing – There are many great study abroad packing lists online. You can also reach out to past study away students (such as Elon’s Global Ambassadors) to get their insight!
- Include your family in the planning process. Go over materials together and discuss plans for communication while abroad.
- Utilize your support networks (engage other students who have done the program before, support at your host program, etc)
- Make connections with locals – onsite staff can help connect you with other students or community members in your area. If applicable, language exchanges can be a great way to meet new people!
- Seek out new experiences – Study abroad is an experience in itself, but did you know you can participate in experiential learning while abroad? Many programs offer opportunities for service learning, internships, and/or research. Are you involved with something at Elon that you love? See if there are opportunities to continue that work abroad, or do something completely new!
A great packing list! https://www.iesabroad.org/study-abroad-packing-list