R.N. Ellington Health Information

The Student Health Services Center offers medical and counseling services to university students, faculty, and staff. Physicians, nurse practitioners, nurses, medical assistants, and licensed counselors are available. Services include immunizations, physical and gynecological exams, allergy vaccines and influenza vaccines for an additional charge.

Many visits to the Student Health Services Center are free of charge, but students pay small charges for physical exams, medications, lab tests, procedures, and medical supply items. Students may be referred off-campus to a specialist. The cost of the referrals should be covered by the student’s health insurance, except for any co-pay or deductible.

Visit the Health Services website for more information.


Required Immunizations

In the state of North Carolina, all students attending colleges and universities are required to submit a proof of physical examination of wellness and a certificate of immunizations.  The required forms can be downloaded the Health Services website.

Ask your doctor to provide this statement in English and return this form to the physical address or e-mail address provided on the forms.

Prescription Medications

If you are taking any prescription medications, make sure to bring the English name of the medication, as well as an English copy of the prescription. Before you can obtain a refill, you must take your prescription to the Student Health Services Center to have it rewritten. You may then have your prescription filled at any pharmacy. If you wear eyeglasses or contact lenses, make sure to bring that prescription as well, and you may wish to bring an extra pair of glasses.

International Student Health Insurance & Waiver

All international students are required to carry health insurance during their time at Elon University. The GEC encourage students to purchase health insurance through Elon University, as the GEC is able to assist with filing claims and other matters under this insurance. Students will be billed for health insurance unless they submit, in a timely fashion, a waiver and an insurance policy that provides coverage equal to or better than the Elon recommended policy. All policies must be written in English and have English-speaking customer service representatives.

To view the Elon recommended health insurance policy, click here.

To inquire about waiving the Elon recommended health insurance policy, please email Kevin Winpisinger at kwinpisinger@elon.edu. Waiving a policy is subject to verification. Please submit appropriate policy along with the waiver form.

Students on non-immigrant student visas are eligible for LewerMark coverage, which will automatically be applied to the student account. If a waiver is accepted, the charge will be removed.

Important Note:
In the United States, most health insurance policies, including the one provided through Elon University, do not include vision or dental plans. If you want vision and/or dental coverage, you may need to purchase supplemental policies separately.


In the U.S., you can dial 911 on any phone to get immediate access to the police, fire department, or ambulance service.

Elon Campus Security can also be reached at (336) 278-5555 or by dialing x5555 from the Emergency Call Boxes on campus. The campus police is available 24 hours and 7 days a week.

For any on-campus problem or emergency, residence hall assistants (R.A.s) are trained to help. R.A.s live in the residence halls and will introduce themselves during orientation.

Personal Safety

Although Elon University is a very safe place, it is always wise to be careful, especially at night. Elon University offers E-rides so that students do not have to walk home by themselves late at night. Do not hesitate to contact Campus Security whenever necessary at (336) 278-5555.