Beginning in January 2021 for the School of Health Sciences and Fall 2021 for all other schools except the School of Law, Elon University will move from a 3 digit course number system to a 4 digit course number system. The only thing that is changing about the courses is moving the course number from 3 to 4 digits. All other details about the course (description, requisites, etc.) remain the same.
Go to this link to see a reference table of the 3 digit and new 4 digit numbers for each course.
What you need to know:
- In the 4 digit number, the first digit is still the level of the course:
3 digit format 4 digit format Level description 100-199 1000-1999 Lower-level, introductory undergraduate courses. Generally, no prerequisites 200-299 2000-2999 Lower-level, intermediate undergraduate courses. May have prerequisites. 300-399 3000-3999 Upper-level, intermediate undergraduate courses. More likely to have prerequisites. 400-499 4000-4999 Upper-level, advanced undergraduate courses. Usually have prerequisites. 500-599 5000-5999 Introductory level graduate and professional courses 600-699 6000-6999 First year master-level courses 700-799 7000-7999 Second year master-level courses 800-899 8000-8999 First year doctoral level courses 9000-9999 Second year doctoral level courses
- The 2020-21 and the 2021-22 Academic Catalogs list both the 3-digit and the 4-digit numbers for each course.
- For Winter Term, Spring and Summer 2021 (i.e., the remainder of the 2020-21 academic year) you will register for courses using the currrent, 3-digit numbers.
- For Fall 2021 the class schedule will be published and you will register with the new, 4-digit numbers.
- On your official academic transcript, courses you took that had 3-digit numbers will be listed with the 3-digit number. Courses you take that have 4-digit numbers will be listed with the 4-digit number.
- As always, work with your academic advisor to plan your class schedule for upcoming semesters.
- If you have questions about the move to 4-digit course numbers you may contact:
The Office of the University Registrar, firstname.lastname@example.org, 336-278-6677
The Academic Advising Center, email@example.com, 336-278-6500