The Leadership Education and Development (LEAD) program is a three tier self-paced program open to all students. Upon completion of Tier One and Tier Two, students earn a leadership certificate. Students who express an interest in deepening their leadership experience will then be invited to complete Tier Three and earn the distinction of a Cannon Leader.
Students can begin the program at any point in their time at Elon and work at their own pace. It is recommended that Tier One be completed in no less than a semester, Tier Two in no less than two semesters, and tier three in no less than two semesters.
Students in Tier One will explore personal foundations of leadership, establish one's self as an authentic leader, and continue growth as a leader. Below are the requirements for Tier One.
1. Attend an Elon Leader workshop
2. Attend the Strengths workshop or PSY 368
3. Attend the Response Ability: Bystander behavior workshop
4. Attend the Identity Mini-Retreat or LEP
5. Identify and meet with your Leadership Coach
6. Complete 10 hours of community service
7. Complete a 3 page culminating reflection
Students in Tier Two will learn about group dynamics, negotiation and managing controversy. They will develop an understanding of the importance of promoting civic responsibility, global and cultural awareness, effective communication, embracing diversity. Below are the requirements for Tier Two.
1. Attend Overnight Retreat
2. Attend the Team Performance Workshop or LED 210
3. Attend a Social Perspective Taking Event
4. Attend the Leading with Integrity Workshop and the Transformative Workshop
5. Meet with your Leadership Coach
6. Complete 10 hours of service
7. Attend a conference
8. Online portfolio
In Tier Three students will apply and synthesize what they have learned during Tier One and Tier Two in a continued extensive leadership experience. Below are the requirements for Tier Three:
1. Attend the Immunity to Change Workshop
2. Complete the Attentional and Interpersonal Style (TAIS) inventory
3. Cross Cultural Leadership Workshop
4. Complete ONE Transformative Experience and ONE Academic Experience (listed below).
Transformative Experiences (Pick at least one to complete)
Academic Experiences (Pick at least one to complete)
5. Meet with your Leadership Coach at least once a semester
6. Community Service
7. Board of Reviews/Reflection