Leadership Experiential Learning Requirement (ELR)
The Experiential Learning Requirement (ELR) is a graduation requirement for all Elon University students. The ELR expands upon the Five Elon Experiences (leadership development, study abroad, internships, undergraduate research, and service-learning) by providing a structure to facilitate and encourage students to practice close observation of the world around them and reflect insightfully about those observations. Students may complete this by fulfilling two units of experiential learning. See the ELR Core Curriculum website for more information.
1. Complete the Leadership Development Workbook
Whether you want to complete the ELR for a formal organizational leadership role or through a self-identified role and project to create positive change, completion of the workbook will enhance your experience by providing you with the opportunity to reflect on and improve your leadership. Each student will identify an advisor or mentor to help guide their ELR experience.
- To meet the Leadership ELR you must accumulate 40 hours of activity during the duration of the project or leadership experience. This means you should meet with the Center for Leadership then start the workbook at the beginning of your leadership role or project.
2. Take a designated Leadership ELR course - COE 310F (Fall 2016 and Spring 2017)
- Designed for students who will hold a leadership role during the semester, a cohort of peer leaders will engage in facilitated discussion of real-time leadership experiences, challenges, lessons learned, and best practices. Through sharing with peers and completing the workbook, students will gain new perspectives and ideas while enhancing their own leadership and professional development. In addition, students will examine how their leadership experiences can be leveraged in their resumes, job interviews, and other employment seeking activities.
If you have any additional questions about the Leadership ELR, please visit the Center for Leadership.
ELR Information Sessions will be held in the Center for Leadership on:
• Monday, September 5 at 3 pm
• Thursday, September 8 at 5 pm
PLEASE NOTE: The last date to begin the Leadership ELR during Fall 2016 is Friday, September 23rd. We are no longer taking requests to complete the Leaders ELR until Winter Term 2017 begins.