GLOBAL PATHFINDERS are students poised to claim their global citizenship as they begin their undergraduate education. Elon University is nationally known as a leader in engaged, experiential learning. Students are prepared to appreciate and respect all forms of diversity as they develop into informed leaders.
We invite you to consider becoming a Global Pathfinder and spend your first Elon semester at University College Dublin (UCD), a top-ranked global university where 25% of students come from outside Ireland.
Global Pathfinders begin their Elon journey by taking their first semester courses in an international setting with the support and direction of an Elon faculty member. All courses transfer to Elon and count toward degree requirements. Students live in shared apartment-style housing on UCD’s campus and have full access to campus life including clubs and organizations.
Your first semester includes:
- The Global Experience (COR 110), a degree requirement taught by Laurin Kier, assistant professor of sociology at Elon
- Three additional courses offered by UCD, which will transfer to Elon and meet graduation requirements
When not in class, students have the city of Dublin at their doorstep. Dublin is the capital of the Republic of Ireland and a dynamic and charming city of about 1 million people. Cobblestoned streets, ancient monuments, and riverwalks abound in this international hub for art and music where almost half the population is younger than 30 years old.
Life at Elon after Dublin includes:
- Beginning classes on campus during the January Winter Term
- Developing an individualized global growth plan of curricular and co-curricular activities expanding on the Dublin experience
- Access to a rich array of global opportunities both on and off campus
- One-on-one mentoring with Assistant Professor Laurin Kier and Bill Burress, Associate Director of Study Abroad
Every major, career, or profession is influenced by the complex and interconnected world around us. As a university nationally recognized as the leader in study abroad, Global Pathfinders claim their global citizenship early in their Elon undergraduate career. The $26,000 program cost includes tuition, numerous extracurricular activities in Dublin and throughout Ireland, and campus housing at UCD for the fall 2019 semester. While meals and transportation are not included, the cost is comparable to a semester abroad on one of Elon’s Center Abroad programs and includes an opportunity for global engagement at one of Europe’s most outstanding universities. Elon coordinates a group flight that leaves from an east coast city to be determined. Global Pathfinders are accompanied to Dublin by a member of Elon’s Global Education Center and met at the Dublin airport by program staff.
All GLOBAL PATHFINDERS receive a one-time Elon Experiences grant of $2,000, which may be applied to the program or used to support another experience later during the undergraduate experience.
Places Global Pathfinders may visit while in Ireland include:
- Abbey Theatre
- Day trip to Howth
- Leinster Rugby match
- Kilmainham Gaol
- Glasnevin Cemetery Museum tour
- Croke Park
- 2-night Study Tour to the west of Ireland: Galway / Connemara / Aran Islands (Inis Mór) / Clare / Cliffs of Mohar / The Burren
- Causey Farm Day trip
- 2-night Study Tour to Northern Ireland: Belfast (mural tour/Stormont) / Derry (museums/walking tour) / Antrim Coast (Giant’s Causeway/Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge)
Global Pathfinders will meet on Elon University’s campus during the summer of 2019 for a special orientation. A second orientation will be held at UCD upon arrival.