We recognize that you will have a lot of questions about First-Year Advising & Registration. Review our FYAR Frequently Asked Questions about the process of course selection. We also have a General Advising FAQs for questions related to the Elon Core Curriculum and other common questions for students. If you have a new question, please contact us at the Office of Academic Advising. Our number is 336-278-6500 and email is fyar@elon.edu.

Who is my academic advisor?

During summer First-Year Advising and Registration, new incoming first-year students are advised by professional advisors within the Office of Academic Advising. Then, in August, the instructor of your ELN 1010: First-Year Advising Seminar will be assigned as your advisor.

That person will be your instructor and advisor until the end of the ELN 1010 class. If you are ready to declare your major, you can do so at the end of the semester of ELN 1010. Shortly after, you’ll be connected with a faculty advisor in your major.

Why does my ELN 1010 instructor just say "Staff?"

We do not assign student advisors until August. The primary reason is that we have quite a few advisors for the ELN 1010: First-Year Advising Seminar experience who do not work in the summers. We would not want a new student like yourself to try to contact them and receive no response for 1 or 2 months. If you need to know of your advisor for other reasons, please let us know so we can more directly respond to your question.

When do I register for my first semester of classes?

  • Fall admitted students will register on a rolling basis as they complete their virtual advising sessions.
  • You have to be approved to register to be able to create your schedule.
  • The first virtual advising sessions for summer 2023 will be on Wednesday, June 7th.

How do I get approved to register for classes?

  1. First, complete all of Elon Bound.
  2. Second, prepare for and attend your small group virtual advising session.
  3. After you complete both, you will be approved to register for classes and may begin to register for classes immediately starting on June 7th.

Do I have to complete Elon Bound?

Yes. You have to complete this as one of the steps to be approved to register for classes.

Do I have to attend the virtual advising session?

Yes. You have to complete this as one of the steps to be approved to register for classes.

If I register later in June, will there we any classes left?

Yes. This is a common concern for students. We have a lot of types of classes that will be available at the end of June. Additionally, you will be pre-registered for ELN 1010 and either COR 1100 or ENG 1100.

How do I manage a wait list?

  1. Register for a full schedule of classes. At least 12 semester hours but up to 18.
  2. Wait list a class of interest.
  3. Check your Elon Email using Microsoft Outlook daily.
  4. If you receive an email saying you can add the class, go to your class schedule. Click Drop for the class you want to remove from your schedule. A box will pop up and you can swap the class to be removed and add the new class at the same time.

When is the last day I can edit my schedule?

You can work on your schedule from the time your registration date/time opens all the way through Drop/Add week at the beginning of the semester.

For fall 2023, you can make your final drop/add changes during the first week of classes.

The deadline for half-semester classes is different than for full semester classes.

We recommend that you bookmark the Academic Calendar to track important deadlines like this.

I'm traveling and have limited access to the internet in June. What are my options?

We understand that some students may have personal conflicts in June. All students must attend a live small group virtual advising. These sessions are 60 minutes and students can register for classes immediately after. Meaning, you will need to have access to the internet just one time in June for approximately 90 minutes.

We are offering sessions Monday through Saturday at various times. If you cannot attend a session of your primary area of interest, i.e. STEM, you can attend an Exploratory session instead. While these are directed at students with early areas of interest or multiple areas of interest, you can attend one of these sessions if needed. This should provide additional flexibility for you.

You can also email fyar@elon.edu to discuss your options. Please provide us details on the concerns about attending a session between June 7th and June 30th.

I had a 504 Plan/IEP/Accommodation Plan through my high school years; will I be allowed a priority registration time?

For this registration process, we will not be providing priority registration times as accommodations.  Because of the way the system is set up, this accommodation is not applicable for this semester’s registration.  In future semesters, you will be able to request priority registration times; these accommodations are approved if supported by documentation.  Reach out to Disabilities Resources at disabilities@elon.edu if you have further questions about this issue.

What happens if I don't have access to technology for the small group virtual advising sessions?

For students who have limited access to technology as a daily resource, please call us at 336-278-6500. Or when able, email us at fyar@elon.edu.

How do I plan my classes if my AP/IB/Transfer Credit haven't posted?

Review our webinar: How AP/IB and College Credits Transfer to Elon. This information is located on our Resources & Tutorials section of FYAR on our website.

I have some questions. How can I get help?

You can ask questions during your small group virtual advising session.

But you can always call the Office of Academic Advising at 336-278-6500.

You can also email fyar@elon.edu to ask questions specifically about First-Year Advising & Registration.