Declaring Your Major
When am I eligible to declare my major?
- Currently enrolled students in Fall 2023 need to DECLARE their major by SEPTEMBER 15th by 11:59pm.
- New transfer students will meet with the Transfer Student Coordinator to discuss registration of courses for their first semester at Elon. You will discuss your major declaration timeline during this meeting.
- New First-Year Students may not declare their major until the end of ELN 1010.
Class of 2027 First-Year Students may NOT declare their major until November 1st, 2023.
I declared my major. What happens next?
- Our office will process your major(s) and minor(s) usually within 1 business week. These updates will be viewable in My Progress in OnTrack.
- Advisor assignment timelines vary based on time of year. We will work with your department typically within 3-5 weeks after you have declared your major to match you with a faculty advisor.
- You will receive an email notifying you of when your advisor has been changed. You also can view this in the Schedule/Timeline/Advising section of OnTrack. Click on Advising to locate your current academic advisor.
We have a freeze period each fall and spring for changing advisors due to registration advising. This typically is from fall and spring break until after registration concludes. You should have your new major advisor within 3 weeks after the last date of registration for that semester.
This form is for students who are declaring their major for the first time or who are changing a declared major. This form includes a survey of your Elon 1010 experience for first time major declarations. Please indicate major(s) and minor(s) on the data entry form page. What you enter will show on your degree audit.
Students currently enrolled in ELN 1010 cannot declare their major until the final month of that semester. This allows the instructor of ELN 1010 to maintain access to academic information crucial to the grading of assignments in the ELN 1010 class. For fall 2023, ELN 1010 students may declare their major starting on November 1, 2023.
STOP! Are you Class of 2027? You are not eligible to declare your major! SEE ABOVE. Thank you!
Change of Minor Form
Complete this form to add or remove minors only.
At the time of major declaration, a student can request a preferred advisor within the declared department of study. While there is no guarantee that the request will be fulfilled, it will be noted within the department.
*PLEASE NOTE – Once a department advisor has been assigned to a student, any advisor changes must be requested through the departmental chair.
Questions? Chat with us!
During hours of operation (Monday-Friday 8am – 5pm) we offer a live chat feature to answer your questions.
Chat not available? Contact our office via email at firstname.lastname@example.org and a representative from the office will reply within the next business day.