Elon University has a two-year residency requirement based on evidence that students who live on campus are more engaged in the community, perform better academically, and are more likely to utilize campus resources. If students wish to live off campus before their junior year, they must apply and be released from the residency requirement. Moving off campus is a privilege for students who have demonstrated responsibility as an on-campus resident. The only exceptions to this requirement are for those students who are living with their parent(s)/legal guardians or nontraditional students and transfer students who have been out of high school one year or more. In order to be exempt otherwise, the student must obtain approval from residence life. Students should NOT sign a lease off campus without approval from Residence Life. 

For more information about Elon’s residency requirement, please review the Student Handbook or the Residential Policies.

Please note that on campus housing is not guaranteed for students for all 4 years.

If you wish to request an exemption based on one of the above criteria, please complete the application in Self Service that will be available in the spring.

Fall 2021 Off-Campus Application Dates

Application Due Date Response Date
February 5, 2021 February 12, 2021
April 9, 2021 April 16, 2021

If you have questions, please contact Residence Life at residencelife@elon.edu or 336-278-7300.