Elon’s premier residential and dining facilities support students’ academic endeavors by providing students’ basic needs of safety, comfort, and ability to function within the campus community. From traditional double rooms to apartment living, Elon residence life offers a wide range of housing options. These facilities provide environments that enhance students’ development of life skills and independence.

The terms “residence” or “campus housing” used herein refer to the apartment, residence hall room, or house owned or leased by the University, or Greek house in which student resides, as applicable. “Housing agreement” means the Residence Hall Agreement or Apartment Lease Agreement or executed by the student, as applicable.

On-Campus Community

Living in campus housing is a unique community living option; community expectations and policies that provide for the health, safety, and security of all students are a necessity. These expectations and policies foster a cooperative living environment and exclude certain behaviors that may adversely affect the campus housing community. All campus housing are considered private property, reserved for the exclusive use of residents, invited guests and authorized University personnel. Students are responsible for upholding all University and campus housing policies and for informing their invited guests of said policies. Students are responsible for the behavior of their guest(s). Violations of any of the policies, procedures, or requirements in the housing agreement, those promulgated by Residence Life, or outlined in the Elon University Student Handbook, which are incorporated herein by reference, will be considered a violation of the housing agreement and ground(s) for termination of the housing agreement and removal from campus housing. Violations are referred to appropriate University personnel for student conduct action.

Eligibility Requirements

To be eligible to reside in campus housing, the student must be enrolled in full-time academic course work at the start of the semester (minimum of 12 semester hours). Exceptions must be approved by Residence Life. If the student’s enrollment status changes to part-time status, the University has the right, but not the obligation, to terminate the housing agreement.

On campus housing for students who are less than seventeen years old is subject to approval. Elon University does not provide family housing for students.

All first and second year students are required to live in on campus housing. The only exceptions to the preceding requirement are for those students who are living with their parent(s), and non-traditional students and transfer students who have been out of high school one year or more. In order to be exempt, the student must obtain approval from Residence Life.

Rules and Regulations

In addition to other obligations and duties set forth in the housing agreement and herein, the student shall:

  1. use the residence for residential purposes only and in a manner so as not to disturb other residents or disrupt the community;
  2. not occupy the residence in such a way as to constitute a nuisance;
  3. keep the residence, including, but not limited to, all plumbing fixtures, furnishings, thermostats, facilities and appliances, in a clean and safe condition;
  4. cause no unsafe or unsanitary condition in the common areas of the residence and shall comply with applicable building and housing codes;
  5. dispose of all food, trash, and other waste in a clean and safe manner and comply with all applicable ordinances concerning trash collection, recycling, waste and other refuse;
  6. use in a proper and reasonable manner all electrical, plumbing, sanitary, heating, ventilating, air conditioning, and appliances and other facilities;
  7. not deliberately or negligently destroy, deface, damage or remove any part of the residence (including all furnishings, appliances and fixtures) or permit any guest or agent of the student to do so;
  8. be responsible for and liable to the University for all damage to, defacement of, or removal of property from the residence whatever the cause, except such damage, defacement or removal caused by ordinary wear and tear, acts of the University, its agent, or of third parties who are not invitees of the student, and natural forces;
  9. exercise care and respect for University property;
  10. not enter into a restricted, locked, or closed campus housing space not specifically assigned to the student;
  11. conduct themselves and require their guests who are in the residence to conduct themselves in a reasonable manner and so as not to disturb other student’s use of the residence;
  12. live in a cooperative manner with roommates and other students in the residential community;
  13. not use verbal or physical conduct that interferes with an individual’s work, education, social activities, or adversely affects an individual’s living conditions (see “Disorderly Conduct Policy”; Student Code of Conduct);
  14. recognize and respect the authority of the University staff and comply with requests made in the performance of their duties (see “Failure to Comply Policy”; Student Code of Conduct);
  15. not abandon the residence during the Agreement Term (the student shall be deemed to have abandoned the residence if the student substantially removes or all of their possessions from the residence for a period of more than 2 days. The University may thereafter remove any remaining personal property from the residence and donate it to any charitable institution or organization without liability to the University;
  16. promptly notify the University of the malfunctioning of any appliances or equipment, which may cause damage or potential damage to the residence.

Alcohol and Drugs

The responsible, private use of alcoholic beverages by persons 21 years of age and older is permitted in the residence. Students 21 years of age and older may have the equivalent of 12 drinks per number of legal age residents in campus housing; one drink is a 12-ounce beer, 4-ounce glass of wine or 2 ounces of liquor. All use of alcohol is subject to restrictions of state law, the student code of conduct, and all other policies in the student handbook (see Student Code of Conduct).


The student shall not paint, mark, drive nails or screws into, tamper with, or otherwise deface or alter walls, ceilings, floors, windows, cabinets, woodwork, furnishings, thermostats, or any other part of the residence or make any alterations, additions, or improvements in or to the residence. All alterations, additions, and improvements upon the residence, made by either the University or the student, shall become the property of the University and shall remain at the termination or expiration of the housing agreement. Material student alterations may result in the student’s loss of the student’s security deposit and/or the imposition of University fines billed to the student’s University account.

No objects or material may be attached outside windows or hung from exterior balconies, railings, ledges, roofs, doors, or walls of a university owned or leased student residence.

The student shall not remove any provided furnishings.


The University reserves the right to impose reasonable requirements with respect to the use of appliances or equipment in campus housing. Some examples of items not permitted in campus housing are listed below. However, this list is not all-inclusive. If students have questions about specific items not listed, contact Residence Life for clarification. Items not allowed include: halogen lamps, microwaves (permitted only in Danieley Center and apartment housing kitchen area) toaster ovens, hot plates, deep fat fryers, gas or charcoal grills, power tools, amplifiers (may be stored in student’s rooms, but not used), ceiling fans, track lighting, bicycles, mopeds, motorbikes, or motorcycles. Residents who are in violation of this policy will be charged $50 per incident and the item will be confiscated and held until it can be removed from campus.

Break Periods and Closing

The residence halls and Loy Center houses do not close during Fall Break or the break between Winter and Spring Terms (unless otherwise noted). The residence halls and Loy Center close at Thanksgiving, Spring breaks and after Fall and Spring exams (December and May). Health and safety inspections are performed during these times. Students must arrange to leave their residence halls or Loy Center House before closing each break and within 24 hours of their last exam in December and May. Students should arrange to return during the designated opening time after each break period. Students are not allowed to remain in the residence halls/Loy center after closing or return prior to the official opening time.


Prior to the start of the academic year, housing in the residence halls can be cancelled for the following reasons: study abroad, withdrawal from the University, transfer, graduation, and rising juniors and seniors who wish to move off campus. Elon University housing in the apartments can be cancelled for the following reasons: withdrawal from the University, transfer, and graduation. To cancel housing assignments, the student must come to residence life and complete a housing cancellation form. If you are cancelling for reasons of withdraw or transfer you must also complete paperwork in the office of student development. Late cancellation of a housing assignment after the cancellation deadline may result in a cancellation fee. Please visit the Residence Life website for cancellation information.

After the start of the academic year: Once the official academic year has begun all students in a residence hall or apartment spaces are in a binding legal agreement with the University for fall, winter, and spring semesters. If you are an enrolled Elon student, this contract can only be cancelled receiving official approval from Residence Life.


Candles, halogen lamps, non-electric fuel lamps and lanterns, simmer pots, and incense may not be used or kept in campus housing. Residents who are in violation of this policy will be charged $50 and the item will be confiscated and held until it can be removed from campus.

Code of Conduct

All students and guests are expected to abide by the Elon University Code of Conduct.


Students are responsible for loss or damage to furnishings or equipment in the residence to which they are assigned. Prior to the first semester that a student lives in campus housing, a $200 security deposit will be charged on the student’s bill. The student is responsible for all damage to a room and its furnishings. The cost of repairs and replacements will be charged to all residents of the room. Residents are expected to take every precaution to assure that communal property is not abused. IN HALLS OR SECTIONS WHERE THE UNIVERSITY HAS DETERMINED THAT THERE IS UNDUE ABUSE OF UNIVERSITY PROPERTY AND THE RESPONSIBLE INDIVIDUAL (S) CANNOT BE IDENTIFIED, ALL RESIDENTS WILL BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR PAYING A PRORATED SHARE OF THE COST OF REPAIRING SUCH DAMAGES. The security deposit will remain in University accounts throughout a student’s stay in campus housing. Upon permanently leaving campus housing, the security deposit, or balance thereof, will be refunded according to the conditions outlined in the Residence Life Housing Agreement less any indebtedness to the University.

Firearms and/or Weapons

See “Weapons” policy in the Student Handbook.

Fire Safety

Fire safety is everyone’s responsibility. For the protection of personal from damage caused by flow of electricity, it is strongly recommended that power strips have a surge protection device. All electrical devices or equipment such as appliances, power cords, and power strips must be UL approved and installed and used according to the manufacturer’s specification and all other applicable codes.

In addition, live Christmas trees, hoverboards (including self-balancing scooters, battery operated scooters, hands-free seaways, and similar items), candles, any type of lights(including battery operated),halogen lamps, non-electric fuel lamps and lanterns, simmer pots, and incense may not be used or kept in campus housing. Residents who are in violation of this policy will be charged $50 and the item will be confiscated and held until it can be removed from campus.

Covering, disabling, or tampering with smoke detectors, sprinklers heads, fire extinguishers, or other fire safety equipment is a violation and may cause students to lose their on-campus housing. Hanging items from the ceiling is also a violation.


All residence hall rooms and apartments are furnished with single or double beds, mattresses, desks, chairs, closets OR wardrobes, dressers and blinds. The student may not alter the residence or furnishings. Students may not place their mattress on the floor for sleeping or bring water-filled furniture into the campus housing. All furnishings must remain in the assigned campus housing.


The student may not use gas or charcoal grills in or about the residence, unless the grill has been installed by Elon University.

Housing Deposits

In order to participate in housing selection students must pay the bursar’s office a housing reservation fee. No receipt is needed and this amount is deducted from the fall bill.


Keys assigned to the student are the property of the University and must be returned at the expiration or termination of the housing agreement or replacement charges will be incurred. The student shall not duplicate or give their assigned keys to anyone else or take possession of the keys of any other student. The student shall not install their own locking devices on any doors to or in the residence. The student should immediately report the loss of their assigned keys to the University and to pay the charges for replacement keys and changing the locks.


Laundry facilities are in each residential neighborhood and take quarters or Phoenix Cash. If you experience issues with any of the laundry machines, please contact your neighborhood office to submit a work order or refund request if needed.


The University does not endorse or encourage the purchase or construction of bed lofts. In regards to heightened/bunk bed safety, the student assumes full financial and personal responsibility for any risks arising from the use of heightened or bunked beds and shall, to the maximum extent of the law, release, indemnify, hold harmless and forever discharge the University, its officers, trustees, and employees from all liability, claims, demands, actions and causes of actions whatsoever arising out of or related to any damages or injuries, including death, resulting from the student’s use of such beds. Beds rails are available upon request.

Maintenance Concerns

Students may notify their neighborhood office or place a work order online if they have maintenance concerns. Students may access the Physical Plant Work Order request form.

Meal Plan Requirements

Visit the Bursar’s website for meal plan requirements.

Noise and Disruptive Behavior

It is imperative for students to maintain appropriate relationships within and around the residential communities. The student shall not participate in activities within their residence, which produce excessive noise or violate other University policies.

Twenty-four hour courtesy hours and specified quiet hours are designed to promote an environment conducive to studying. Quiet hours are 10:00 p.m. to 10:00 a.m. Sunday – Thursday, and 12:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. Friday – Saturday. Strict quiet hours will be in effect in all campus housing 24-hours each day from the last day of classes through the end of finals.

Overnight Guests

The student shall not permit guests to stay overnight in the residence for more than three days out of a seven-day period. The maximum number of nights that any and all guests can stay overnight in the residence is four nights within a 30 day period and with the roommate’s/apartment mate’s approval in advance. The student is responsible for the actions of their guests at all times while guests are visiting.

Personal Property

The university shall assume no responsibility, and the student or other party to the housing agreement shall indemnify and hold harmless Elon University and its agents and employees, for any and all claims arising from personal injury or for the loss, damage or theft of personal property belonging to or in the custody of the student(s) for any cause whatsoever, whether such losses occur in student rooms, public areas or elsewhere in or around University owned or operated housing. The student is encouraged to carry insurance for protection against such losses.


The student shall not keep or harbor in or around the residence any pets or animals of any kind including, but not limited to dogs, cats, birds, and reptiles. The only pet allowed is fish in tanks no larger than ten (10) gallons, service animals, and emotional support/comfort/assistance animals approved by the Office of Disabilities Resources. Violation may result in termination of the housing agreement and/or a $150 fine and referral to student conduct. The student will be responsible for any and all damages caused by the presence of a pet or animal that results in damage to the residence or to any common areas used in conjunction therewith, and to indemnify and hold harmless the University for any liability to third parties that may result from the student’s keeping of such pet or animal.


If a student cancels a housing assignment, they may be eligible for a refund of their housing reservation fee. Please see Cancellations.


The student shall pay room and meal plan charges for the academic year according to the University payment schedule. Student may not sublet or rent their room and may not permit another person to share their room assignment. If students wish to terminate a lease in a University owned or operated apartment, they must complete a Lease Turnover form.

Right of Entry

The University reserves the right to enter student’s residence, or grant permission to its authorized agent to enter student residences to respond to an emergency, to make needed repairs, to perform routine maintenance, to conduct health and safety inspections and as necessary to maintain University rules and regulations. Inspections for health and safety conditions and property inventory will be conducted by residence life staff periodically. In addition, residence halls will be inspected during break closings of campus housing.

Room and Roommate Assignments

Housing selection for returning students is conducted in the spring semester for the following fall. Students sign up in groups and choose their building. Room assignments for incoming students are posted in late July. For first-year students, roommate requests must be mutual in order to be paired together.

Room Changes

Room or residential changes may occur two weeks after each term has begun, on a space available basis. Unless there are extenuating circumstances, changes should not be made prior to this time. All persons involved in a room change must be aware of the circumstances and understand the steps, located on the residence life website. If you are having difficulties in your current room, contact a residence life staff member. Roommates are expected to resolve conflicts, but where a resolution cannot be found a room change will be considered. Please be aware that there are usually limited spaces open on campus.

For apartment residents only

If you remain an enrolled student and wish to cancel your lease (for your current space) and move to a new space, you, the resident, will have to find another tenant (meeting certain criteria) to fill the spot or you will be obligated to pay for the space until filled.

Room Condition Report (RCR)

After a student arrives and checks in, the next step will be to complete the Room Condition Report (RCR) on your Self-Service account within 72 hours of your move-in. A RCR is where you can note any pre-existing damage within your designated space. A Residence Life team member has already checked your space to ensure it is move-in ready, however, there may be some minor pre-existing damage in the space that you will want to note to ensure you are not charged for those damages upon checkout.

As you check your space, our recommendation is to check your bedroom, walls, floors, bathroom, window, and communal spaces for any damage such as paint chips, carpet stains, or broken/malfunctioning items. If you live in a space with a kitchen, be sure to check the amenities within the space as well.

Once you check the space, go back to your Self-Service account (www.elon.edu/myhousing), select RCR/Damages, and then select Room Condition Report. You will see your room inspection listed and can click on it. From there you will be prompted to answer if the space is acceptable or not along with noting any pre-existing damages.

As stated before, please ensure ALL existing wear/tear and damages are noted so you are NOT billed for that damage when you move out. If you do not submit your RCR upon move-in then you will be billed for ALL existing damages.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact your respective neighborhood guidance.

Room Consolidation

In rare instances, it may be necessary for Residence Life to consolidate spaces and change student assignments.

Safety and Security

The University has adopted policies, which are designed for the safety and security of those living in campus housing. Students are expected to keep their residence locked at all times. Students who enter or leave a residential building are responsible for securing the door. Propping doors is not allowed. When the University is in session, students may enter and leave their campus housing at will. Those buildings, which have common hallways, are equipped with card readers. FOR YOUR SAFETY, DO NOT GIVE YOUR PHOENIX CARD TO ANYONE ELSE. Violation of this policy will result in student conduct charges.


Smoking any substance is not permitted in any campus housing or within 30 feet of the residential facility.

Temporary Assignments

In some cases, it becomes necessary to assign students to temporary housing until a permanent space becomes available. Students who are assigned to a temporary assignment must understand that they may be given short notice to relocate to a permanent or other temporary space. Failure to relocate in the time allotted by Residence Life may result in the forfeit of the assignment offered.


Trash and recycling areas are provided in each residence hall. Residents are responsible for separating trash and recyclables in these areas and disposing of waste in proper areas.

Unauthorized Areas

Theft, vandalism and unauthorized entry into a restricted, locked or closed residence space not specifically assigned to the student is prohibited; this includes roof tops and balconies. Students are also subject to local, state and federal laws.


Visitation hours are for guests to visit in each other’s residence hall rooms and apartments. The University visitation policy applies to all students and guests whether the students live on campus or not. Hours of visitation are Sunday – Thursday 10:00am. until midnight and Friday – Saturday 10:00am – 2:00am. Students may visit or have guests visit them in a residence hall room only during the visitation hours. Danieley Center Apartments, The Oaks, and Station at Mill Point maintain 24-hour visitation seven days a week. Public lounges of residence halls are open 24 hours a day when school is in session. Common areas are open during visitation hours only. Common areas include, but are not limited to, lounges and first floors of fraternity and sorority houses.

Students are not allowed to host more guests than is reasonable for each type of “living unit” or which violates fire code. (Two-person rooms may have no more than six total at any time – four-person suites may have twelve total – eight-person flats/apartments may have 20 total).

Specific Apartment Policies

Students should pursue the option of living in University-owned or managed apartments only if they want to live in campus housing for the duration of the lease which is 11.5 months or 12 months. If the student agrees to live in a University apartment by registering during housing selection, and later discovers they prefer to live in an off-campus apartment or commute from home, they cannot break the agreement if they continue to be enrolled as a student.


The student has the right to inspect the premises and is required to complete an Apartment Condition Form (ACF) that is due one week after the student receives the keys to their apartment.


It is the responsibility of all apartment residents to clean their apartment and properly dispose of any trash. The University does not clean any apartment spaces.


All maintenance work for Danieley Center, The Oaks, Park Place, and Station at Mill Point are the responsibility of Elon University. The student shall notify their Neighborhood Office of any maintenance concerns.


Students residing in University-owned or managed apartments shall pay Rent to Elon University by cash, check, or money order to University Bursar in Alamance 113. The amount of rent for each semester is billed on the student’s tuition billing statement. Rent amounts must be paid in full according to the due dates provided on the billing statement. Rates on the statement are determined based on a semester of billing (6.5 or 7 months for the fall and 5 months for the spring). Students are liable for rent, as though the Commencement Date was their first day of possession and the Expiration Date was their last date of possession, regardless of when they physically move-in or move-out of the Apartment.

Specific Residence Hall Policies

Administrative Room Freezes

There are several times throughout the year when Residence Life cannot accommodate room changes. Some of these times are while Residence Life prepares for the arrival of new incoming students for winter and spring terms, and while we prepare assignments for the following academic year.

Assignment Changes/Displacement

Changes in assignments may be made after the first two weeks of each term. Room changes requested outside of this period must be approved by Residence Life. Students who fail to obtain approval or do not follow the proper check-in/check-out procedures may be charged a $25 administrative fee and may be required to return to their original assignment. This agreement is for a space in campus housing determined by the University, not for any particular room. At any time during the academic year, Residence Life reserves the right to alter a student’s room assignment or placement when the University deems it is in the best interest of the University or the student population to do so.

Meal Plan

Students living in the residence halls are required to purchase a meal plan each term. Visit the Bursar website for meal plan requirements.

Personal Belongings and Occupancy

Residents may not occupy or leave personal belongings in any room before the halls are officially open or after they have officially closed at the end of the academic year.

Student’s Responsibility When Departing Campus Housing

Upon expiration or termination of the student’s housing agreement, the student shall:

  1. vacate the residence and remove from the premises all the student’s personal property. If the student’s housing agreement is terminated, the student shall vacate the residence within 24 hours of notice of termination, unless special written permission has been obtained from the Residence Life team;
  2. properly sweep and clean the residence, including plumbing fixtures, refrigerators, stoves and sinks, and remove food and trash;
  3. return the residence, and any furniture, furnishings, appliances or fixtures furnished in the same condition as when the student took possession of the residence. The student shall not be responsible for ordinary wear and tear;
  4. close and lock all doors and windows;
  5. officially checkout of your room (either at the Neighborhood Office or by turning your keys in via an Express Envelope to the neighborhood office); NOTE: Failure to return keys to the neighborhood office will result in a $25 improper checkout fine in addition to charges for damages and/or lost/not returned keys.

Cleaning Fees/Damage Billing:

If the student fails to sweep and clean the residence, including appliances and fixtures provided, the student shall become liable, without notice or demand, to the University for a cleaning fee. The student agrees that failure to comply with these duties will also result in forfeiture of part or all of the student’s security deposit.

After student has vacated the residence, the room and common areas will be inspected by University staff to assess any damages to the residence, which will be charged to the student. The student may be present for this inspection, if desired.

Appeals to any damage/cleaning charges must be initiated by students and must be submitted on the students Self-Service page (www.elon.edu/myhousing) go to Applications and look for “Damage Billing Refund Request” within 7 business days of this notice. Your Community Director will review your appeal based on the following grounds for appeal and will typically communicate a final decision in writing within 7-10 business days of receipt.

The Community Director has the authority to uphold the charge, amend the charge as appropriate, or remove the charge. Financial and/or personal considerations are not grounds for appeal. Grounds for appeal include:

  • New Facts: Discovery of substantial new facts that were not reasonably available at the time of the charge’s assessment. If the appeal is based on substantial new facts, the appeal must outline the following:
    • Source of new information and complete explanation of that information; and
    • Name(s) of who can present this information; and
    • Reason(s) why this information was not presented prior to the charge’s assessment; and
    • Reason(s) why this information may contribute to a decision other than that which was originally made.

Left Items

In the event the student does not vacate (by the expiration date of the lease, if living in an apartment or within the allowed time, if living in a residence hall) any property of the student remaining in the room or building may be treated as abandoned property. The University may remove such personal property from the residence and donate it to any kind of charitable institution or organization without liability to the University. Any charges for removal and disposal will be assessed to the student.