Unity in Communications
The School of Communications’ on-campus initiative supports students interested in enhancing diversity and inclusion in the communications and sport management industries. With support from the dean’s office, the student-run program organizes lectures, discussions and other special activities.
Elon University’s Unity in Communications program aims to support students of color and LGBTQ students, while promoting diversity and inclusion within the School of Communications.
Student Application for Diversity & Inclusion Conferences
The School of Communications is committed to providing financial support and opportunities for students with diverse backgrounds. One such avenue for support is attending national conferences that allow students to network and learn from minority professionals who are engaged in meaningful work related to communication and sport.
The school offers limited funds to support students from diverse backgrounds to attend an affinity conference related to a school-related discipline. For more information, read the Student Application for Diversity & Inclusion Conferences.
Examples of Affinity Communication/Sport Management Organizations
- National Association for Multi-Ethnicity in Communications
- National Association of Black Journalists
- Asian American Journalists Association
- National Association of Hispanic Journalists
- Native American Journalists Association
- South Asian Journalists Association
- Vision Maker Media (Native Storytelling for Public Broadcasting)
- Rada Film Group
- International Communication Association
- Association for Women in Sports Media
- The Emma Bowen Foundation
- T. Howard Foundation
- Women in Cable Telecommunications
- Walter Kaitz Foundation
- National Black Public Relations Society
- NLGJA (National Lesbian & Gay Journalists Association)
- Athlete Ally’s Student Athlete Activism Summit