In 2017, Elon University’s School of Communications dedicated new facilities, providing students with a learning-centered environment and the latest technological resources on par with professional communications settings.
The school’s quad brings together 1,400-plus students and more than 80 faculty and staff in four adjoining buildings creating a 105,000-square-foot learning laboratory. The new and renovated facilities were made possible through the gifts of more than 40 families.
Dwight C. Schar Hall
A two-story centerpiece for the new communications campus
- Turner Theatre – A 220-seat movie theater with a Christie Digital Cinema projection system and surround sound
- Kanarick Media Sandbox – A collaborative space promoting student innovation
- Student engagement suites, flexible classrooms, faculty offices
- Headquarters of Live Oak Communications, a student-run strategic communications agency
Snow Family Grand Atrium
A 5,000-square-foot, two-story glass community space that includes a 1.3-million-pixel video screen
Located across from Whitley Auditorium, the pavilion is a single-story structure that houses a Mac classroom laboratory, five office spaces, and a lounge area often used for university receptions and luncheons.
McEwen Communications Building
- Jane and Brian Williams Studio – a versatile broadcast center with all-LED lighting, HD cameras, flexible sets and exterior windows opening onto Citrone Plaza, a streetscape in downtown Elon
- Virtual Studio with a green hard-wall cyclorama for video compositing and a white infinity wall
- Two HD-SDI control rooms with matching equipment, including a Ross Carbonite Black 2 ME video production switcher, a Ross Xpression motion graphics and video playback system and a Wheatstone 48-channel audio mixing console
- Converged student newsroom – headquarters for the multiplatform Elon News Network
- 19-room video editing suite networked to an Avid NEXIS server and linked to the studio control rooms
- HD audio recording studio with three Pro Tools control rooms and two performance stages
- New studios for WSOE/FM/Streaming radio with 24-hour automation and audio-over-IP
- Student Internship and Career Center
- Home of the Master of Arts in Interactive Media program as well as the Sport Management Department
- Flexible classrooms, faculty offices, student editing suites, Interactive Media student lounge