High school juniors who have successfully completed the Exposure experience are invited to apply for a summer on-campus residential learning workshop at Elon University.
The Immersion program takes place June 20 – July 1, 2022, and the Emerging Journalists Program pays for students’ travel, lodging, meals and instructional materials.
Elon’s School of Communications is a four-building, 105,000-square-foot complex with computer labs, television studios and editing suites. During the workshop students will learn reporting, writing, multimedia storytelling, leadership and media management skills.
Beyond instruction, however, students will become part of a working newsroom, producing professional web content and learning to track audience engagement metrics. In addition, they will enjoy excursions to local media venues and take part in college preparation programs. A tentative daily schedule is available here, but individual activities will not be finalized until late spring of 2022.
What you get
- Advanced instruction on journalistic skills, including training on the latest production software and equipment.
- A certificate of completion.
- One hour of college credit from Elon University in COM3800 Media Workshop.
- Travel expenses to and from Elon University.
- Meals throughout the duration of the in-person workshop.
- Lodging in Elon University residence halls.