It is important to understand your responsibilities as an advisee. Before understanding your responsibilities, let’s review what academic advising is.
Academic advising is a form of engaged learning by which students learn about their roles in the Elon University community, critically reflect upon their roles and responsibilities as a student, and prepare to become global citizens.
At Elon, academic advising is a process that focuses on three fundamental areas:
- Accurate academic information
- Relationships across the Elon University community
- Time-bound in the form of when benchmarks, including graduation, should be accomplished
Working with your Advisor
Academic advising is a collaborative relationship between student and advisor. It is important to understand that, as an advisee, it is your responsibility to foster this relationship during your time at Elon. Students are ultimately responsible for earning their degrees.
At Elon University, advisees will:
- Read and understand the academic standards contained in official Elon University publications and on its official website;
- Consult with their advisors when policies and procedures are unclear;
- Consult with their advisors during registration periods for course scheduling and any program modification;
- Inform their advisor of any academic difficulties, program or career changes;
- Schedule advisor appointments in advance of registration and maintain scheduled appointments with their advisors;
- Prepare for advisement sessions with any supporting documentation or materials which could assist the advisor;
- Provide advisors with feedback and follow through on advisor recommendations as needed.