Before understanding your responsibilities as an advisee, it is important to know what academic advising is. Academic advising is a form of engaged learning by which students learn about their roles in the Elon University community, critically reflect upon their roles and responsibilities as a student, and prepare to become global citizens. At Elon, academic advising is a process that focuses on three fundamental areas: accurate academic information; relationships across the Elon University community; and time in the form of when benchmarks, including graduation, should be accomplished.
As such, academic advising is a collaborative relationship between students and advisors. Students are ultimately responsible for earning their degrees. With that, advisees will:
- Read and understand the academic standards contained in official Elon University publications and on its official website;
- Consult with their advisors when policies and procedures are unclear;
- Consult with their advisors during registration periods for course scheduling and any program modification;
- Inform their advisor of any academic difficulties, program or career changes;
- Schedule advisor appointments in advance of registration and maintain scheduled appointments with their advisors;
- Prepare for advisement sessions with any supporting documentation or materials which could assist the advisor;
- Provide advisors with feedback and follow through on advisor recommendations as needed.