How to use GI Bill® Benefits

If you are a new student and would like to start receiving benefits, the first step is to start the application process with the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA). Details regarding the application process can be found at The VA can also be reached by calling 1-888-442-4551. The VA is the best point of contact for questions concerning benefit payment amounts and questions regarding specific eligibility. Once the VA application process is complete, the following paperwork will need to be submitted to the VA Certifying official via mail, email attachment or in person.

Documents for Certifying Benefits at Elon

  • Certificate of Eligibility – After you have applied for and been approved for benefits, you will be issued a Certificate of Eligibility from the VA. This form helps us to:
    • Certify the correct chapter of benefit and avoid delays in benefit processing.
    • Advise the Bursar’s Office of any anticipated tuition benefits.
  • Veterans Education Assistance Form. This form must be submitted prior to your first semester.
  • Official transcripts for any previous coursework—this includes high school as well as other institutions of higher learning.

Enrollment certifications are generally submitted about a month before classes begin each semester. To ensure continuity of benefits, it is imperative that you complete final registration and course selection in a timely manner.

If at any time your enrollment changes, it is important to contact the Certifying Official to avoid payment problems.

Certifying Official

For tuition or billing questions, please contact the Bursar’s Office at 336-278-5300.

For financial aid questions, please contact the Financial Aid Office at 336-278-7640.

Post 9/11 GI Bill® – Yellow Ribbon Program

The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program is a provision of the Post 9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. Elon University has agreed to participate in the program at varying levels:

  • The School of Law will provide a maximum of five  $5,000 scholarships per entering class.
  • The School of Health Sciences will provide a maximum of three $5,000 scholarships per entering class.
  • Qualifying first-year undergraduate students will be eligible for a $4,500 Yellow Ribbon Scholarship on a first-come, first-served basis. The number of slots varies each year.

All of these awards will be matched by the Veterans Administration for each qualifying student and automatically renewed as the long as the student retains eligibility.

Post 9/11 veterans eligibility requirements established by the Veterans Administration and are not need-based. All applicants for the Yellow Ribbon program must contact Elon’s Certifying Official in the Financial Planning Office. Elon’s certifying official will add you to the Yellow Ribbon list if spots are available and will keep a waitlist of those who inquire after the initial spots are filled.

Quick Links