Students experiences concussions often experience a myriad of short and long term symptoms that can affect their ability to perform daily tasks, excel academically, engage socially while at Elon. Below, we have collected a number of important resources that Elon offers to support students who may have experienced a concussion:
Student Care and Outreach | 336-278-7200:
- Our staff is available to support students by providing access to these and other resources across campus. We are happy to meet individually with students to address a range of hurdles they may be facing due to their injuries, whether financial, social, academic or otherwise. We also coordinate the services of many other offices in order to avoid duplication of efforts and over-saturation of support.
Athletic Training Services | 336-278-7336:
- Athletic trainers are available to perform an initial evaluation for concussion, provide follow-up care and on-going assessment of symptoms, create a “return to learn” plan for students, and provide documentation to support absences from classes. Athletic trainers coordinate closely with Disability Resources and Health Services.
Health Services | 336-278-7230:
- Health Services are available to perform an initial evaluation for concussion, provide follow-up care and on-going assessment of symptoms, create a “return to learn” plan for students, and provide documentation to support absences from classes. Health providers coordinate closely with Disability Resources and Athletic Trainers.
Disability Resources | 336-278-6568:
- Disabilities Resources works with students on a case-by-case basis, determining reasonable accommodations. Disabilities Services will discuss options for evaluation with the student and make appropriate referrals. Where appropriate, Disability Resources can make accommodations related to classes, housing, and other areas affecting the student’s experience at Elon.
- A PDF document prepared by the Elon BrainCare Research Institute outlining key terms, common symptoms, and recommendations for managing symptoms in the aftermath of a concussion.
- A PDF document prepared by the Elon BrainCare Research Institute outlining steps Faculty can take to support students managing symptoms related to concussion.