What does the Admissions Committee consider most important when making decisions on transfer students?

Your academic record at the institution from which you are transferring is most important in the admissions decision. The committee looks for strong course selection along with consistent progress. In order to be eligible for admission, you must have at least 12 transferable credits and a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.7 or better. Your high school transcript is required to ensure you have strong foundational courses needed for success at Elon.

How do I know what credits will transfer?

Students transferring to Elon are able to transfer up to 65 credit hours of coursework from another institution. Credit is allowed only for courses with a grade of “C-” or above. After a student has been accepted for transfer, an official evaluation of your credits will be mailed to you. Learn more about transferring credits to Elon.

How soon after I apply will I hear if I have been accepted?

Decisions on completed transfer applications are made on a rolling basis. Normally, this process takes about four to eight weeks.

What scholarships are available to transfer students?

Yes. The Alamance Community College Scholarship is awarded to one transfer student from Alamance Community College who demonstrates outstanding character and who shows academic promise and talent valued by the Elon community. For students interested in receiving financial aid, we highly recommend submitting the FAFSA. For more information regarding the specific types of financial aid available to students, please call the Office of Financial Aid, 336-278-7640. Students are encouraged to submit all financial aid forms by mid-February for priority consideration.

How many students transfer to Elon for fall and spring semesters?

We typically welcome around 90 transfer students in the fall semester. For spring semester, we welcome approximately 50 new students to Elon’s campus.

Is there a special orientation program for transfer students?

Special activities are planned for transfer students who enroll in the fall or spring. You will meet other transfer students and key people from various departments who will assist you in planning internships, study abroad programs and other important aspects of your life at Elon.

Do I have to live on campus? Can I get a list of off-campus apartments where Elon students live?

On-campus housing for transfer students is limited, and assignments are based on the date deposits are received. Once on-campus housing is full, students can continue to apply as commuter students and live off-campus. Visit the Residence Life site to learn about off-campus apartments.

When can I sign up for a study abroad program?

Students transferring to Elon for the fall semester can study abroad as early as their first Winter Term! If you are interested in studying abroad during Winter Term, or any other semester, please contact the Isabella Cannon Global Education Center for information regarding available programs and other opportunities (studyabroad@elon.edu or 336-278-6700). You may also visit their website to learn more about the global study programs Elon has to offer.

What kind of academic calendar does Elon have?

Elon has a 4-1-4 academic calendar, which includes fall and spring semesters, and a January Winter Term. During Winter Term, students can study abroad, complete an internship, focus on a challenging course in your major, or take one of dozens of innovative courses on campus. Your participation in Winter Term is not required; however, Winter Term tuition is included in your fall tuition bill.

How soon will I be assigned an adviser?

Academic Advising will assist you in preregistration prior to your arrival. Once you arrive at Elon and declare your major, you will be assigned an adviser in the appropriate academic department.

How do I register for courses?

Academic Advising will contact accepted transfer students who have submitted their deposits. Based upon the credits you will be transferring in, Academic Advising will assist you in selecting a course schedule that will help ease your transition to Elon. For more information regarding course registration, visit the Transfer Students section of the Academic Advising website.

Are support services available if I need help with a course?

Elon offers assistance in most courses through Learning Assistance. The Writing Center assists students with any stage of their writing assignments. Both are staffed by Elon students and offer one-on-one assistance. You may make an appointment or just stop by. Both are located in Belk Library.

Who can I talk to about transferring to Elon?

Please contact James Thurnes, Director of Transfer and Special Admissions, at (336) 278-3566 or via email.