How to Apply
Elon University is accepting transfer applications for fall 2024 admission through July 15, 2024. Elon Law welcomes applications from students who have compiled a strong law school record and wish to transfer to the School of Law. Complete your transfer application through the LSAC Electronic Application Service.
Please review the importance of complete and accurate responses to the character and fitness questions on the application.
In addition to complying with the general admission procedures, a transfer applicant must submit a letter of good standing and a transcript from their current law school, one of which should indicate the applicant’s current class rank. A student from a law school approved by the American Bar Association may be admitted to advanced standing as a candidate for a degree.
The Law School requires 86 credit hours for graduation. Transfer students are generally required to complete four full-time trimesters in residence at Elon Law and receive at least 56 credits toward the JD degree at the Law School. Up to 30 academic credits may be given for work at another law school. Course credit is generally awarded for work completed with a grade of C or higher. A transfer applicant who has been academically dismissed from a law school must wait at least one year following this dismissal to apply for admission to Elon Law. Students who are not in good academic standing at another law school may not transfer to Elon.
Transfer students may choose to participate in the intramural moot court competition and may be eligible for the Elon Law Review subject to the decision of the Review’s Executive Board. International transfer applicants must comply with additional application requirements detailed on the law school web site.
Transfer Application Important Dates
January 1: Transfer applicants may apply using first year, first semester grades. Transfer applicants seeking to enroll in the fall will submit their second semester grades when available, as well as all of the materials noted in the checklist below. Fall admissions decisions will likely be made in the late spring or summer.
August 15: Transfer application deadline for fall enrollment.
Transfer Application Checklist
Submit your application via www.lsac.org and provide:
- An LSAC Credential Assembly Service (CAS) report
- A personal statement indicating why you would like to transfer to Elon Law
- Two letters of recommendation, one of which must be from a law professor
- A letter of good standing from previous law school attended
- An official copy of most recent law school transcript
- Either transcript or letter of good standing must indicate class rank
- A resume
Transfer Application Quick Facts
- A transfer application will be considered only if the applicant has attended a law school accredited by the American Bar Association.
- Course credit is generally awarded for work completed with a grade of C or higher.
- Up to 30 academic credits may be given for work at another law school.
- The School of Law requires 86 credit hours for graduation.
- Transfer students are generally required to complete four full-time trimesters in residence at Elon Law and receive at least 56 credits toward the JD degree at the law school.
- Transfer students are eligible for membership on Elon Law Review.
- Transfer students may choose to participate in the intramural Moot Court Competition.
- International transfer applicants must comply with additional application requirements.
- Students ineligible for readmission at another law school may not transfer to Elon.
- For Elon Law’s transfer of credit policies, please see the “Courses taken Elsewhere” section of the Student Handbook.
Those interested in attending Elon Law as a visiting student, can find detailed application information on the visiting applicants page.