Congratulations on your acceptance to Elon Law!
By joining Elon University School of Law, you will become part of a talented and dynamic group of students. Elon Law students develop close relationships with their peers, professors and attorneys mentors from the start. These supportive relationships are integral to your legal education, professional development and career success.
At Elon you will work individually with attorney mentors, faculty advisors, executive leadership coaches and career development consultants to shape a personalized educational and career path that is guided by your goals. You will engage in a variety of hands-on, professional work experiences that advance your career objectives in ways that are highly valued in the legal employment market. We are excited to welcome you to a different kind of law school, one that is known for both rigorous thinking and doing, and one that values and supports the vision of pioneering, innovative students.
While Elon Law is not the right law school for everyone, your acceptance indicates our strong belief that, based on your background and goals, this is the right law school for you. In addition to reviewing the exciting developments at Elon Law below, we encourage you to review the Procedures for Accepted Students, to schedule a visit and to contact us with any questions you may have. We want to support you every step of the way, from admissions, throughout your years at Elon Law and beyond, in a lifelong relationship that supports your career, professional development, service interests and leadership roles within your community.
- A Top-10 School for Practical Training, as ranked by PreLaw Magazine in its Spring 2020 issue.
- Twice named among “America’s 20 most innovative law schools,” the first time for being one of the nation’s only law schools to pair first-year students with practicing attorneys who serve as mentors and encourage students to shadow them at their practices, and then as a 2.5-year program with a guaranteed residency-in-practice (National Jurist, 2012 & 2017)
- A Leadership program that is the recipient of the E. Smythe Gambrell Award, the top national award for excellence in legal professionalism programming, and “worthy of emulation by law schools” nationwide (American Bar Association, 2013)
- One of five law schools featured for “getting serious about business skills” in legal education (National Law Journal, 2013)
- An emphasis on skills development and hands-on learning, evidenced by the fact that 100 percent of entering students will graduate with significant, immersive law practice experiences including full-time residencies
- A personalized, supportive learning environment evidenced by a 9-to-1 student/faculty ratio, a majority of classes with fewer than 25 students and a faculty adviser for every student.
Features of Elon Law’s learning-by-doing curriculum
- The first and only law school to ensure that all students benefit from full-time, faculty-directed residencies in the practice of law
- Experiential learning integrated throughout the curriculum, exceeding the ABA’s experiential learning requirements
- Students will begin their studies with an introductory program focused on legal analysis, writing and communication, and leadership and professionalism
- Each student will be assigned a faculty adviser, a working attorney mentor (preceptor), an executive coach and a career consultant
- In a seven-trimester schedule, students will complete their studies in December, allowing them to take the February bar exam and begin law practice in the spring
- A reduced total tuition with a guaranteed fixed cost for the entire program of study for the members of that class; since 2015, anticipated debt at graduation for Elon Law students has declined 20 percent
We encourage you to visit our curriculum overview page to learn more about Elon Law’s groundbreaking approach.