Healthy Law Students Walking PhotoThe law school is collaborating with the Kathleen Price Bryan Family YMCA, which is located just a few blocks from the law school at 501 West Market Street. The law school provides each student with a membership at the YMCA at no additional cost. The YMCA includes a large fitness center, two swimming pools, basketball courts and a running track. Visit the YMCA’s web site here.

Students may also choose to join one of several other fitness facilities that are located downtown and throughout Greensboro. Greensboro and Guilford County offer numerous public recreational facilities, including tennis courts and extensive greenways and parks, an excellent resource for walking or jogging enthusiasts.

Law students may also utilize fitness facilities and take advantage of recreation opportunities on the Elon University home campus. Visit the Elon University Campus Recreation web site.

Health insurance and counseling services

Elon Law is committed to the health and well-being of its students, and health insurance is required as a condition of enrollment for all Elon students, including law students. Students must provide proof of insurance coverage prior to enrolling at the law school by indicating this coverage on their Health History Forms. Students may have access to health insurance through several means, though all plans must meet the minimum standards as required by the Affordable Care Act. A student’s health insurance coverage should cover emergency treatment at local hospitals/clinics, as well as coverage by off-campus specialists, if needed. A student may have acceptable insurance coverage as a dependent under a spouse’s, partner’s or parent’s insurance plan. This could be coverage through an employer sponsored plan, state marketplace plan or other insurance plan. More information about eligibility may be found at Affordable Care Act Marketplace.

International students (those with F or J visas) must either provide proof of acceptable insurance in their home country or enroll in the student insurance policy arranged by the Isabella Cannon Centre for Global Engagement. The premium will be billed to your student account; you must provide proof of insurance to have it removed from your account. If you are an international student and have questions about your eligibility for international insurance or requirements, please contact Mr. François Masuka at

If a student’s insurance policy/coverage changes during her time at Elon, she should notify Health Services immediately. Students who need to update their insurance policy may do so by sending a copy of the updated insurance card to

Please feel free to contact Health Services on main campus or the law school Admissions Office if you have any questions.

Law students will have the option to visit the R.N. Ellington Health and Counseling Center on the Elon University home campus. Student visits to the Health & Counseling Services are free of charge. There are nominal charges for medications, lab tests, procedures and medical supply items. Visit the Health and Counseling Center web site.

Counseling Hours

Counselor Anita Hodnett, Ed.S., LPC, is here each Thursday from 8:00am – 5:00pm. She is located in the Admissions Building at 219 West Friendly Avenue. To schedule an appointment, please call 336-278-7280, Monday-Friday between 8:00am and 5:00pm.

If you are in an emergency situation where danger is imminent and immediate help is required, call 911. If you are experiencing a psychological crisis, call Campus Safety and Security at 336-278-5555 to reach the Counselor on Call for assistance.


All Elon Law Students have access to BarCARES, a confidential, short-term intervention program provided cost-free to students, faculty and staff of the law school. The program is there to help you (and your immediate family members) by providing confidential assistance and brief, solution-oriented counseling. BarCARES is designed to offer no-cost assistance in dealing with problems that might be causing distress and can be used to help with:

  • Personal Issues: crisis intervention, depression/anxiety, substance abuse (drug or alcohol) and financial concerns
  • Family Issues: marriage/relationships, children/adolescents, parenting/family conflict
  • Work Issues: professional stressors, case-related stress and conflict resolution
  • Student coaching on stress/time management, etc.

To reach the professionals at BarCARES, please call 1-800-640-0735 or visit the website at BarCARES is accessible for 24-hour crisis response support.

24 Hour Emergency Assistance

The Division of Student Life in cooperation with Campus Safety and Security maintains an evening and weekend administrative on call system to assist students and their families in the event of medical or other emergencies (death in the family, etc.). Students and their families may access the administrator on call by contacting the Office of Campus Safety and Police at (336) 278-5555. Campus Security will take your contact information and contact the administrator on call. The Administrator on Call will call you back (usually within 15-20 minutes) and will assist the student, contact the appropriate Law School administrator, or contact the counselor on call if the situation warrants. If this is a medical or psychological emergency requiring immediate assistance, please call 9-1-1.