The Elon Law Student Professional Development Fund assists Elon Law students in their participation in professional development opportunities, unique learning experiences, and opportunities that will help them explore their career options.
- Apply at least 3 weeks BEFORE the scheduled event to be considered for reimbursement. Students may apply for funding by completing the Student Professional Development Fund Application.
- Submit a completed Post-Event Reimbursement form along with receipts within 10 business days AFTER attending the qualifying event to receive reimbursement
- Be a 2L or 3L student in good academic and behavioral standing
For what can I request funding?
- Transportation (flights, train, bus, rental car, Uber, etc.)
- Mileage reimbursement on a personal vehicle
- Event-related expenses such as registration or enrollment fees
- Internship-related expenses (e.g., airfare)
- Conference-related expenses (e.g., registration, airfare, hotel)
- Skill building activities/resources related to a future job
- Other expenses approved by the Office of Career & Student Development
What kinds of things are NOT reimbursable?
- Exam fees
- Certification Fees
- Food/Meals including drinks and groceries
- Entertainment/Excursion cost (e.g., city tours)
- Passport fees
- Health insurance
- Cell phone, internet
- Personal communication bills, and other unallowable expenses.
- Textbooks for class
NOTE: If student membership in a professional organization or bar association includes free or discounted registration to an event sponsored by the organization, and the cost to join the organization is less than the cost to register for the event as a non-member, students are encouraged to join the organization as a student member and submit that expense for reimbursement. Students may then register for the desired event at the student member rate.
When should I apply?
Funds are distributed on a first-come, first-served basis; therefore, students are encouraged to identify professional development events and apply as early as possible while funds remain available.
Am I able to cost share with other Elon Law students?
Yes, but please contact OCSD well in advance of applying so that we can ensure that the proper application process is followed and so there is not a delay in receiving your reimbursement.
Can I receive funds before the event?
No. All funding is by post-event reimbursement only. If a student cannot pay the upfront costs and needs assistance with advance payment, please contact OCSD to make other arrangements for payment.
How long does it take to receive reimbursement funds?
Reimbursement generally takes 7-10 business days.