The International Living Learning community offers a unique residential experience, where students with international experience, backgrounds, and interests come together to form a special residential community. This intentional living-learning community facilitates social and academic interactions among residents and with the faculty-in-residence, both within and outside the community, which are broadly focused on international and cross-cultural appreciation.
The International Living Learning Community creates, cultivates, and sustains an atmosphere for international living in tandem with living in a multicultural environment. Residents live in an atmosphere that is intentionally focused on facilitating interactions between students with diverse life experiences, backgrounds, and worldviews and which fosters awareness of and appreciation for cultural difference. The International Living Learning Community functions as an integral part of an internationalizing campus community that values study abroad, language learning, and international exchange, and its residents are exemplars of Elon’s ‘global citizen.’
Explore the ILLC Syllabus.
- Uniting students around a shared interest in international experiences, issues, and understanding
- Connecting students to an in-residence faculty member who also shares these interests and is committed to engaging students and developing sustained relationships with them around these areas of mutual concern
- Creating an academic and social community that functions as a multidimensional support network for residents
- Integrating classroom topics with informal residential conversations and planned programming in an intimate, learning-centered community
- Capitalizing on some of the University’s lectures, performances, and other events with international themes and cross-cultural learning potential in order to integrate residents more fully into the campus community
- Trips to Asheville and Washington, DC
- International Dinners/Festival
- Social and community events
- Country of the Month program
Who will live in the International Living Learning Community?
Students who have lived across the world and students who are interested in global learning and Elon’s ‘global citizen’ model. Students must show interest in the International Community and participate fully in its activities and programs.
What is the facility like?
The International LLC is located in the Global Neighborhood on the 1st and 2nd floors of Global A. Situated on Lake Mary Nell and adjacent to the quad containing Belk Library, Moseley Center, and Koury Center, the Global Neighborhood is our premiere global education residential complex. Residents in the International community enjoy beautiful rooms and common spaces including a kitchen on their floor and will benefit from interactions with the Faculty LLC Advisor (who lives in residence, in the same building) as well as upper-division students who serve in mentoring roles.
How do I apply?
Visit this page for more information.
Contact the International LLC Advisor: